cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec wants to verify a tape in a drive that can't read it!

David_Perrin
Level 5
We have two tapes drives, an Ultrium II and an Ultrium III, to which we put verified multiple-tape backups each weekend.  The jobs run concurrently, one backing up to the Ultrium II while the other backs up to the Ultrium III.  The jobs going to the Ultrium II always finish first (we backup the most data to the Ultium III since it can handle Ultrium III tapes which hold twice as much).

Every weekend when the second Ultrium III tape finishes, the alert which is displayed tells me to put the first Ultrium III tape in the Ultrium II drive for verification.  This does not work since the Ultrium II drive cannot read an Ultrium III tape.  I have to say 'No' to the alert and put the Ultrium III tape in the Ultrium III drive.

Is there any way around this annoyance?
5 REPLIES 5

David_Perrin
Level 5
Does anyone have suggestions here?

I have gone into the right-click menu for each device on the DEVICES tab, gone to MEDIA TYPES and identified which tape types each drive can read/write.  I instructed the ULTRIUM II drive that it CAN NOT read or write LT03 tapes, but BackupExec STILL wants me to put a LT03 tape in the ULTRIUM II tape drive for verification.

Can anyone help me?

Message Edited by David Perrin on 07-10-200711:57 AM

David_Perrin
Level 5
Has anyone seen a problem like this?  Am I the only one?

David_Perrin
Level 5
The problem is consistent, it happens every weekend.  The backup jobs to the Ultrium II drive finish before the verification begins on the Ultrium III drive.  Then the Alert asks me to put the first Ultrium III tape in the Ultrium II drive, which CANNOT READ THE TAPE.  I must manually eject the second tape form the Ultrium III drive and put the first tape in the Ultrium III drive for verification, then tell the alert 'no', that I am not putting the tape for verification in the Ultrium II drive, then the verify begins.  When the verify completes on the first tape, I get an alert asking me to put the second Ultirum III tape in the Ultrium II drive for verification, and I must repeat the process I used for the first tape to put the second tape in the tape drive that can use it.

This problem is not a major concern for me, but when I go on vacation it is going to be an issue, having to explain it to the person who will replace me in changing out the tapes.

David_Perrin
Level 5
FYI, in case anyone runs into this problem - I think I have found a solution (I will know for sure this weekend).

On the MEDIA tab, when you right click on the tapes, you must define the type of tape it is.  I assumed BackupExec would know the difference between an Ultrium III tape and an Ultrium II tape, but it does not -- it labels both tapes as 'LTO'.  You must define the tape as LTO3 or LT02 or LTO100.  I have defined each tape and hopefully that will correct my problems.

Message Edited by David Perrin on 07-17-200707:23 AM

David_Perrin
Level 5
This problem IS NOT RESOLVED.  I told the devices  what tapes they can use and defined the tape type on the tapes themselves, and this weekend BackupExec STILL told me to put the LT3 tape in the Ultrium II drive, which is defined as impossible.

Help!

Message Edited by David Perrin on 07-23-200707:06 AM