cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 15 - RD1000 cartridge on another server

Ptitilulu007
Level 3

Hi there,

I migrated since 2 weeks ago on 2015 (before i'm on 2010r3). Now everything is okay excepted one !

I have usb device cardrige (RD1000) on each server. In version 2010R3 i could delete previous or check backup in each rd1000. But now with 2015 i cant define or check it. If i ask for inventory or whatever, job done but in the list of backup i just have the backup from the last week and that's all...

Questions are :

Can i configure correctly a remove cardrige that is connected on another server ?

How to have all my previous backup if backupexec don't check it correctly ?

Thanks a lot !

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you run a catalog of the cartridge?

Thanks!

Ptitilulu007
Level 3

Only catalog is disable. Like other network sharing, because i must mount it like a network sharing. But i can launch inventory and catalog. And i just check in history catalog have 0 bytes. Backup from 2010 cant be compatible with 2015 or i dont do correctly the config for it ?

Thanks

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Is this an ESO/CAS setup with Managed BE servers?

Is your goal to have each BE server backup to it's own RD1000?

Ptitilulu007
Level 3

Could you define ESO/CAS ?

My goal is pretty simple. I have one Managed BE server, and all my other server (virtual or physical) have the client BE to do backup on it. And yes i have on each physical server a RD1000 on it. I use it like this to don't impact other servers and network.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check the retention periods in your jobs. They are probably set too short and your older backup sets are deleted deleted by. DLM

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

ESO = Enterprise Server Option

CAS = Central Admin Server

But then you say that you have a "Managed BE server", which only applies if you have a designated ESO/CAS server.  so I don't know if you have ESO/CAS or not.

How many servers do you have that can run the BE GUI and have multiple BE services running on that server?

If I assume that you have one true Backup Exec server and you have the BE Remote Agent installed on other servers.  These other servers also have a USB RD1000.  What do you gain by backing those servers up to a local drive?  It seems like all your data would have to travel twice across the netwrok... from the Remote Agent to the BE server, then back to the USB RD1000 disk.  Why not have the RD1000 attached to the BE server and reduce network load?

Ptitilulu007
Level 3

I don"t have a server only for backupexec, it's also a hyper V.

But you interesting me with the last part. You explain that backup must be transfered on BE server before its was wrote on another server with remote agent ? So i don't optimise anything...

There is a possibility to dont have this action but BE wrote directly on RD1000 from the server that have the data ?

Thanks for your explanations

Ptitilulu007
Level 3

There is always old backup on my RD1000 so they arent delete by DLM for this moment

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I am not sure exactly what you are doing as some parts of  your explanation are unclear.

---------------

If you are sharing RDX devices via network sharing (CIFS) then they will NOT be seen as removable storage and not handled correctly when the cartridges are ejected from the drives. RDX devices have to be connected to the Backup Exec servers.

Also DLM will not work as desigend for RDX because it will work as designed for a network drive (NAS) or standard disk storage location so different behaviour will be seen for data retention.

Basically if the RDX device is not directly connected to the Backup Exec server official/ full support may be denied and any form of reasonable efforts may also be withdrawn as you would need to prove to us that your problem is not caused by your unofficial configuration.

-------------

If however you are trying to move cartidges from one Backup Sefver to another, then if all the servers run active backup schedules, then this is bad practice as you will get duplicate use of BKF file names and IMG folders from each server causing conflicts when it comes to inventories and catalogs if a cartridge has been moved (unless a CASO setup is involved) Potentially another unsupported configuration where we might offer reasonable effort assistance depending on the history of the problem. Note: if you are moving cartridges containing data to a server that has not run any jobs and is just operating for disaster recovery (so has no existing media records) then this is allowed and supported.

----

If you are doing something else then please explain?

------

Extra note: Even 2010 R3 and ealier versions required RDX devices to connect to the Backup Servers and not the remote severs, as such even if what you were originally doing worked for you it does not mean it was supported, which might be why other changes in BE 2012 and later means it no longer works in the way you were using it.