cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010 R3, exchange log issue

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited

My exchange backups have been working fine for 6 months, however the lasft 4 have failed with the following error: v-79-57344-34070

Looking into the failed backups i have noticed the information stores are not been backed up.

Ive edited the backup job and can'tt see the information stores anymore, so i strated looking into the licensing and discovered the following:

If you go to

Tools -> Install Options and License Keys on This Media Server -> Yes.

It lists the installed licenses, but there is no Exchange Agent there.

BUT…

If you click ‘Next’ and expand the ‘Licensed agents and options’, the Agent for Exchange is ticked.

BUT:

If you close that down, go to Help -> About -> License Information, it DOESN’T list an Exchange agent.

The remote agent appears on the server, i have also updated backup exec with all the hot fixes.

No changes have been made to the exchange otr backup server

Has anyone experienced this before.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi I think looking the overall issue, there seems to be a corruption. You can also try one more thing once you grab the copy of catalog and data folders. You can look for besernum.XML file in C-doucment setting-all users-application data-symantec-besernum.XML renmae it to old, if it is win2008 then C-program data-application data-symantec-besernum.XML, once you see that file rename it too besernum.XML_old an then go to add remove programs to click on repair and then click on install options and enter all your licenses again and you should be able to instal exchange license with your other licenses. Hope this helps. Thanks

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I am currently looking for the license, and will try reinstall it, but any other idea's/help would be appreciated

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that would have been my first suggestion (ie. uninstall/reinstall), but also make sure that your media server is fully patched by running LiveUpdate, and then push-install these updates to your remote servers.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Ensure you once you reinstall license keys and restart the media server go to command prompt and enter fltmc to check virtlfile instance is there And in Help about -license information-exchange license is installed and licensed Thanks

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Iv'e run the live updates and pushed them to my exchange server. Its just wierd that i cant see the license, to uninstall it?

CraigV

...if you run the licensing wizard, can you deselect the Exchange agent?

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited

This might explain the problem a little better:

The first pic does not show a license, for exchange, but the 2nd does??

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Please can you share the snap by going to help -about--license information to see what is shows in there for exchange agent Also please contact licensing support for symantec to grab the license for exchange agent or if you have access to licensing.symantec.com you can search there Thanks

CraigV

...so if you run through the licensing wizard, you should be able to uninstall the license when it shows you the list of license keys.

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Please see attached:

The license does not appear either:

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi CraigV, i might be mistaken but are you talking about the wizard when you go to:

Tools.......Install options and licenses?

If so, the license and key does not appear.

Is there any other wizard i am missing?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi So if you have license for exchange agent try to install it and see what is the result ,if still doesn't work then, else grab the copy of your data and catalogs folder and reinstal same version of backupexec again and replace that with backed up copy of data and catalogs you have. Thanks

CraigV

Mmm...if you can't install it, try running a repair of your BEDB. Open up BEutility.exe and right-click the server name. Choose the option to repair the database.

THanks!

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Ive tried repairing the database, unfortunatlley it has not resolved the issue.

backup-exec, im waiting to get the license key we previously used from out license dept.

Im just stumped as to why its dissapeared.... Gremlins somewhere?

CraigV

...a license key doesn't disappear...it needs to be uninstalled.

Thanks!

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Agreed, but where is it?

On the 2nd screen shot i sent "lincense1" i can't deselect the "agent for microsoft exchange server"

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi I think looking the overall issue, there seems to be a corruption. You can also try one more thing once you grab the copy of catalog and data folders. You can look for besernum.XML file in C-doucment setting-all users-application data-symantec-besernum.XML renmae it to old, if it is win2008 then C-program data-application data-symantec-besernum.XML, once you see that file rename it too besernum.XML_old an then go to add remove programs to click on repair and then click on install options and enter all your licenses again and you should be able to instal exchange license with your other licenses. Hope this helps. Thanks

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Will give it ago once i license dept gets back to me.

Once done ill send an update through

ajdcurtis
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Finally fixed Good idea to backup the backup server :-) I restored the besernum.xml file from a week ago, when the backups were working (to a different location) This allowed be to find the license key, i reinstalled the license key, restarted the BE services. The information stores re appeared on the exchange server backup job. Selected them, and tested the backup. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated