cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec User Server License as Remote Agent

watkins
Level 2
I have an interesting situation.

At our Corporate office we have Backup Exec 9.1 with the proper amount of Agents to backup our Corporate Servers.

We also have 15 Remote sites and all 15 sites have Backup Exec 10d-12 Server installed on the single server that exists at these sites for the purpose of backup itself up.

What I am wanting to do now is stop doing locale backups at these remote sites. Instead I am wanting to use the 9.1 server at our corporate office and do incremental backups of all the remote sites over our MPLS network.

Is there a way to downgrade all our server licenses at remote location into just agents? I no longer have a need for backup exec server at these location I just need the server now to function as a remote agent.

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks, Jeremy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
THe only way to do this would be to uninstall all your software on those sites, and then install the 9.1 agent. I don't think that 9.1 is supported anymore, so you may run into issues if you need to log calls with Symantec.
However, if it works, it works =)
The above is the only way...but I would suggest making backups of your Backup Exec DB just in case you want to revert.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
THe only way to do this would be to uninstall all your software on those sites, and then install the 9.1 agent. I don't think that 9.1 is supported anymore, so you may run into issues if you need to log calls with Symantec.
However, if it works, it works =)
The above is the only way...but I would suggest making backups of your Backup Exec DB just in case you want to revert.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

the license key are backward compatible so the lincese key for 10d will work on 9.1 but if you have 12 or 12.5 license I've seen that it does not work with version 9.1 or 10.0 .

watkins
Level 2
I wont be able to install the 9.1 agent without licenses. That is what I am trying to get around.

I have tried a few 12 key's and they dont work on 9.1.

If I upgrade my corp install to 12.5 I wonder if the 12.5 server key's will count as agent keys.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I've never been able to backup one media server from another, even if they were the same version and build

The only way to do this would be to un-install the base code from all the remotes and install a compatible RAWS

If I upgrade my corp install to 12.5 I wonder if the 12.5 server key's will count as agent keys.

If your Corp license includes enough RAWS serials, then that ought to work, if  not, you'll still need to purchase one RAWS per remote location

Another thing to keep in mind:

One FULL followed by all INCR would be a nightmare if/when you ever needed to recover a remote site
You really need to do periodic FULLs  (weeky perhaps) along with daily INCRs 

distoralex
Level 3
Hi Guys,

We're planning to upgrade to Symantec Backup Exec 12 and BE Agent along with it. Just want to be sure if we need to acquire BE Agent per server so if we have 50 servers we need 50 BE Agent license as well?
We are currently using Veritas BE 8.
Sorry if this topic has already been discussed here. If it does, please give me the link to it.

Many thanks in advance!

CraigV

distoralex: Post in a new forum query and you'll get more answers that way.