Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec commands

Michael_Wilkins
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

Im running a mixed bunch of backupexec clients, mostly 12.5 and 2010.

I want to be able to run a vbs script on each machine remotely through our kaseya agent to check if any jobs failed the previous day/scheduled run and if any jobs are on hold (so we can put them back on!)

Our current scripts are getting a lot of false positives, and dont check if any jobs are on hold. This is a problem as if it did not run it does not generate a failure, and we simply have too many to check individually.

I have been playing with the bemcmd commands, but found they dont work very well on 12.5, for instance the job status command fails and asks for a switch (-i, job id) even if it doesnt need it (if using a -j, job name)  or if the switch has been put in!

Has anyone had to do this or knows of somewhere that would have this sort of information?

Alternatively, is there a tool where you can add all your backup clients to it for a centralised report? I heard there used to be one but it got removed in the post-10.xx versions. The clients will be at various locations, not on the same network.

Any feedback would be VERY appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am afraid the answer is no for both your questions.

BEMCMD is the only way to do for a script to check on the job status.

There is no automatic way of telling which machine has the remote agent loaded or which agents it is using.  You would just have to total up the agent licences on the media server and match them to the remote servers.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am afraid the answer is no for both your questions.

BEMCMD is the only way to do for a script to check on the job status.

There is no automatic way of telling which machine has the remote agent loaded or which agents it is using.  You would just have to total up the agent licences on the media server and match them to the remote servers.

Michael_Wilkins
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thanks,

I suspected as much, a lot of searching around has me convinced backupexec is not the best tool for providing managed solutions \ support agreements over a large number of servers.

it seems a lot of people have been asking the same question as i have...

I know trend micro have an agent portal (which works great) where you can login and check all the status's of your jobs (and its free if you're a partner). Maybe symantec should have a think about providing such a solution, im sure it would be popular.

When you have over 50 backup servers the simplest way is always the best....

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have a lot of media servers, you might want to consider using CASO to manage them.  Otherwise, from one BE console, you can logon to the other servers and you can manage them as if you are on the other console.