i have no clue because my ext. disk keeps running out of diskspace

but i want it to overwrite any file that is older then 10 day

where can i find these settings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bikkel-it
Level 3

thanks this was the solution,

there were folders on the disk, that were Not in backupexec anymore.

so they would never be overwritten.

thanks 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Change the media management setting from tools __> optioons to "Overwrite recyclable media in target media set before overwriting scratch media."

Also start the B2D jobs as Overwrite always.

Also choose proper media set settings. OP 9 days and AP 1 hour.

EDIT: Seen the attached screens...

Problem is with the append period. Change it as suggested above.

With the present settings your backups will never get overwritten as OPP will be calculated from the last writing time.

BLOG: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/faq-how-configure-media-setsb2d-jobs-and-backup-exec-proper-management-disk-space-while-using-

Hope this helps....

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

From the screenshots it seems that you are using Backup Exec 11d and the folders which are not getting overwritten are IMG folders (created by GRT backup of Exchange).

This is by design in Backup Exec 11d where IMG folders are not overwritten till the drive where its created if FULL. The feature to overwrite IMG folder is introduced from BE v12 and above.

My suggestion would be to upgrade to latest version which is BE 2010 R3 as it brings lot more features,

Thanks,

-Sush...

Bikkel-it
Level 3

do not overwrite unless the disk is full, is good enough option for me now.

but now my disk is fulld, and when i change the settings to AP 1 hour.

it will still not start

it will give me the same error when i start it manually.

Sorry it seems to start now, i will let you know tomorrow if all good now

Colin_Weaver

The IMG reclaim / overwriet in 11D was not very well thought out as it was based on disk space available against the mx size of the disk or against a quota you enable on the b2d device. Unfortunately not only was this a bad idea, but it had difficulties in reclaiming space in the middle of a job so was not always reliable (as you seem to have found out - unless your media overwrite settings are too long anyway)

From 12.x onwards we responded to feedback from customers and changed it so that (assuming your overwrite protection period is set correctly) at least one IMG will be reclaimed whenever backup exec starts a backup set that would create a new IMG. As such it really is recommended that you do plan to upgrade

If you can't upgrade then you will probably have to manually delete older IMG folders from the file system (checking in the BE console first that the data is not needed) and then in the BE console move the same  IMG media to the retired set and then delete them. Note if you stay on 11D I would expect you to experience this problem again.

Bikkel-it
Level 3

(i will look into it what the costs are to upgrade)

backu-p failed because of low diskspace

does this mean that it does not overwrite because

the sets that are on the disk were created with the old AP settings?

or should it have delted the old backups anyway? (if my settings are good now)

Sush---
Level 6

What is the data that you are trying to backup in this job which has failed??

The IMG folders will be overwritten and the space reclaimed only if you are backing up the Exchange Information Store with GRT option enabled. If you are backing normal files and folders or any other data it will be stored in .bkf files and that will not overwrite the IMG folders from the disk.

Also instead of setting the Append Period (AP) setting try to reduce the Overwrite Protection Period (OPP) settings so that the data in disk will be overwritten when this time period is elapsed (meaning media expires).

Thanks,

-Sush...

Bikkel-it
Level 3

(Server: "l") (Job: "Backup exchange to disk") Backup exchange to disk -- The job failed with the following error: Insufficient disk space.

Yes i have GRT enabled : if that is the follow setting

checkbox Enable restore of individual mail messages and folders from the informationstore backups

is enabled

Sush---
Level 6

Then check if in Backup Exec the IMG folders are showing as Overwritable or not. If the IMG folders are in still Overwrite Protected then even when the disk is full it will not overwrite the IMG folder.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Bikkel-it
Level 3

thanks this was the solution,

there were folders on the disk, that were Not in backupexec anymore.

so they would never be overwritten.

thanks 

Sush---
Level 6

Perfect... thats right... If any IMG folders are not showing in Backup Exec then they will not be overwritten by any backup job.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Bikkel-it
Level 3

now all settings are good as far as i can see,

i have a lot of sets "as seen in file attachment" that are ready to overwritten

does not overwrite.docx

but still my job failes because the disk is full.

now i dont get the error "Low disk space"

but i get the error "access denied" but i get this error because there is no disk space

and it needs to delete a set to continue.