cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec for Windows - Taking too long

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3
For some reason backup & verify of 29G data takes about 11 hours on our server. During the backup time we have less than 5% utility on the server and no users. Also, how do I know whether compression is turned on? I have a BENCHMARK DLT1/VS80 tape drive. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From devices\Properties, verify that "enble Hardware Compression" is selected

You can also try one run with SW only selected. The ratios will not be exactly the same, but will be close.

is this local backups only or local + network

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3
Hardware Compression is enabled. This is only a local server backup. Nothing going across the network. Thanks.

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3
Some statistics from the tape. Is the compression ratio considered good in this case? Thanks.

- Joju

General
Media Label: #0000D9B1-001
Description:

Export Pending: No
Media Type: DLT
Media Set: Media Set 1
Media Location: DELL 1
Creation Date: 4/14/2005 11:34:16 PM
Allocated Date: 4/27/2005 6:00:11 PM
Modified Date: 4/28/2005 4:51:13 AM
Overwrite Protection Until: Overwritable
Appendable Until: Not Appendable

Statistics:

Hours In Use: 92.1
Used Capacity: 28.0 GB
Available Capacity: 16.3 GB
Total Capacity: 37.8 GB
Compression Ratio: 1.30:1
Bytes Written: 244 GB
Bytes Read: 242 GB
Mounts: 21
Seeks: 283

Errors:

Seek Errors: 0
Soft Write Errors: 600
Hard Write Errors: 0
Soft Read Errors: 46
Hard Read Errors: 0

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
I found verify runs about 70% the speed of backup. You might try turning off your Anti-virus software I have seen it conflict with backup and verify.

Level 2
I too am having the same problem. I would be very interested in some ways to hopefully resolve this. I also have verified that hardware compression is enabled on the device, and also under the backup job I have stated to use hardware compression, and if unavailable to use sofwtare compression.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
You might want to clean your tape drive and do a full format on the tapes to get rid of some of the errors.

Level 2
> I found verify runs about 70% the speed of backup.
> You might try turning off your Anti-virus software
> re I have seen it conflict with backup and verify.

I have tried fully formatting cartridges, and also cleaning the tapes to no avail. I have turned the real-time protection of for the anti-virus, but have not had any change in the speed.

Level 3
Update the firmware of the tape drive and the tape driver to the latest from Veritas download site.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Disable the Anti-virus software and make sure it is unloaded and see if it helps with verify. When you clean you tape drive, run the cleaning tape 2-4 times and then do a full format.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
What are your server specs and how is your tape drive configured in BE? Do you use the Veritas drivers? I found they are much better with BE. Did you get the latest ones from Veritas? What SCSI adapter and drivers are you using? I have seen some Adaptec 39320 drivers act strange and really affect backup perforamnce?

Marcina_gamiet
Level 2
Hello, I had this same error on my LTO2 devices - getting DLT speed on LTO2 tapes.

The solution, for me, was to completely remove all drivers, including the SCSI driver and start from scratch - documenting all the way.

Be sure to document all your changes as you need to identify the one that finally works.

Remove all tape related drivers, including scsi. Reboot, then load the SCSI Driver first (for me, the Native Microsoft 39160 SCSI Card driver worked better than the Adaptec did - but try both), then load the Veritas drivers in the software. Test and record backup speed doing backup to Disk, and backup to tape. Document.

Now, remove all drivers again, reboot, try another Scsi driver, Tape device drivers etc.... Test with backup to disk, and backup to tape... Document etc....

Finally, you will see which combination works.

Also, check to see how the device is showing up in your POST - can you see the device? Is the SCSI Bios properly configured for optimal throughput? - Initially, mine was not showing up properly, I found the cables were VERY SENSITIVE...

Hope this helps...

Marcina

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3
I downloaded all the required patches and am using BE drivers for the tape drive. I will disable real-time Norton Protection and see whether it makes a difference. Thanks.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
I dropped all Norton AV solutions and replaced them with CA eTrust Inoculate. Less problems with the backups.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

We apologise for the inconvenience caused because of
the delayed response. Please let us know if your issue
still persists. If yes, please refer the steps mentioned
below. If not, we will mark this case as assumed
answered and move it to answered questions pool.

The following Technotes from our knowledgebase might help you in resolving issue with slow throughput rates.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237444

Also please install the latest veritas device drivers from the following link.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275676

Also check for unresponded active alerts, which can also attribute to such issues. Configure Backup Exec so that, these alerts get responded automatically. Please refer to the following link.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254685

Also the following documents may be useful

http://support.veritas.com/docs/249090

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488

Hope this helps!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
business days, this post would be marked "assumed
answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.

Joju_Sebastian
Level 3
After cleaning the tape drive mulitple times and updating the firmware did sped up the backup process.