cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups Not There ???

Jason_Watkins
Level 4
Hello Every1, Happy New Year!

I have a small BackupExec Soln covering four computers. One of the clients has suffered a HDD failure. I replaced the failed HDD and restored a basic ghost image. I then attempted to restore a full backup from earlier that morning. The restore only found a full backup from December 2005, and a differential from 1/3/07. My logs clearly indicate that the computer's full backup, did complete this morning. I reviewed the selections in the job setup, and they did cover all data on the C-drive.

WHY? Is backupexec telling me one thing, and showing me another?

I need to restore this computer to the way it was this morning, when I backed it up originally.

The backupexec server backs up to an external HDD attached via USB.

Thanks

/J
5 REPLIES 5

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Have you done an inventory and catalogue of the backup you want to restore?

When you view restorable options, it only lists the ones it knows about- it won't automatically check your tape or hard drive.

It's safe to assume the December 2005 backup was the only one done before the basic ghost image.

Jason_Watkins
Level 4
Hello Joshua,

How would one do that? Make an inventory and catalog the backups, there is no mention of that in the restore HOWTO.

I do ghost images when a significant system change occurs. I have 155 users and not too much time. The ghost image is from October 06.

Thanks

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
If you look at the backup log and find the name of the backup to disk folder used for the backup, then go to devices, is that B2D folder listed in the right hand pane?

If you go into the restore selections, and switch to the media view rather than the resource view, you should be able to drill down to the relevant B2D folder that was used this morning, do you see it in the list, and if so can you see the entries for the PC you want to recover?

Jason_Watkins
Level 4
I don't see any folders listed in the backup log. There is a tonne of information there. I can see the media labels for the "device", but no folder.

Thanks

Jason_Watkins
Level 4
No the job is not there, the computer to be restored is not even listed... I am confused, why did the backup indicate a successful completion?

Thanks