cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups Queuing

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
Hi,

Ever since I installed BE 10 onto our server, I noticed that the backup job keeps queing. However, if I perform an "inventory" on the tapes, the backups will complete the subsequent day. If I don't, the job will become queued. This is a recurring problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
9 REPLIES 9

Aleks_Maksimovi
Level 3
Hi

Each time new tape is introduced in the tape drive or robotic library, it must be inventoried so that the Backup Exec database gets updated with the new tape Information. Also check your ALERTS to see if you have anything waiting for a response.

Regards,

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if there are any alerts pending in the Alerts tab.

Have you installed Veritas device drivers ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I understand that the tapes must be inventoried, but, for example, the tapes for a given Monday will "complete", however, the next Monday, the backups will become queued unless I perform another inventory on the same tapeset.

Regarding the other reply to the question I asked, yes, Veritas drivers are installed.

I appreciate any further input,
Scott

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Do you receive any active alerts?

- Do you receive any events in the event logs?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
Your last comment is true. Every new tape needs a new Inventory, unless the tapedrive has got a barcode system onboard.
But still, the tapedatabase needs to be updated with a new tape, since BE doesn't know when you change tapes and the tapedrive doesn't tell.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Everytime a tape is removed from the drive or inserted , it needs to be inventoried as Backup Exec doesnt have any prior information about the tape.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
Hi and thanks again for all of the responses.

I understand that the tapes must be inventoried. However, this is a new problem after we upgraded to Windows Server 2003. I have 5 other servers running this OS and they perform how they should; after the initial inventory, I just swap tapes once per day, while the backups run at night. On the server that I'm having trouble with, I must do a manual "inventory" every day on each tape or the backup will become queued.

Thanks again,
Scott

Eli_Spaans
Level 4
Backup Exec --> Tools Menu --> Options --> Preferences --> Inventory all drives.
Is it switched on?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.