cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups Spanning Multiple Tapes?

Steve_Kibble
Level 3
Hello,

We have an 8-tape carousel attached to Backup Exec 9.1 and our backups are currently 94GB. Given that our tapes are 40/80 which means 40GB native capacity and 80GB max with compression - this means our backups have to be spanning 2 tapes. However, when I view job properties -- > device and media information, it says that is has used media label 'DLTFriday' and does not mention a second tape anywhere.

How can I find out which 2 tapes it has used for the backup?

Many thanks if you can help.

Steve.
2 REPLIES 2

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
The information should be listed in the log somewhere, if you look through it, though it's not as clearly labelled as the initial block of information where you're told which tape, media set etc is being used. As far as I remember it's almost hidden amoungst the other information, more as an aside than a notification, kind of a "oh by the way, I've changed tape".

If you can't find it you could try looking in the restore selections at the different drives etc being backed up by your job, since each of these will display which tape was used by them. While I think they only display the tape that was used to start that backup, with the amount of data you have I would imagine at least one of the drives / system state / exchange bits would have started on the second tape, so it will show up.

Steve_Kibble
Level 3
Thanks for your help. Looking at the media in the restore section has helped me work this out. Thanks again.