cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are inconsistent data reads a common problem?

Richard_Edwards
Not applicable
Our nightly backup keeps failing with the error e00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent. We are running Window 2k3 Server, Backup V10.0 and are using a HP Ultrium 2 LTO Tape drive.

I have gone through the support document V-79-57344-33994 and the problem still exists. The backup fails on the same remote servers each night, if I try to backup the servers on their own the backup is sucessful. I have update the firmware & BIOS on the SCSI card and tape drive. I have also patched Backup Exec with Service Pack 2. The remote servers are running Windows Server 2k3 and we have a Adaptec Snap Server running Guardian OS and has the Unix agent installed.

I have searched Veritas' knowledge base and other web forums and have not yet found the solution to this problem.

Thank You, Richard EdwardsMessage was edited by:
Richard Edwards
6 REPLIES 6

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Install the latest drivers:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282974.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Bill_McDonald
Level 3
Apparently this is a common problem. I have been fighting with it for months. I have done all the updates and still the same thing. I get the V-79-57344-33994 inconsistent data error every morning unless I do a long erase on the tape and restart the server. I have found references to this error on other tech sites. So far I haven't seen any solution other than restarting the server. I don't see that as a viable workaround.

I'm running yet another update as recommended by Deepali. Hopefully this one will fix the issue.

Bill_McDonald
Level 3
After running the recommended update and restarting the server, Backup Exec failed as usual with the An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in HP1. error.

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
I have the same problem, and this is not the first time when Veritas (sorry, Symantec) cannot give a valuable answer! :( We also have support contract, but I think we won't have anymore, because we cannot get help...

Bill_McDonald
Level 3
I got phone support on this issue from Veritas and HP and after much troubleshooting, HP sent me a new tape drive. This seems to have resolved the issue for me.

Zsolt_Friedrich
Level 4
Thanks for the info, Bill!