cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups no longer using compression

King
Level 3

Hi all,

I upgraded my backup exec recently to 2010 R2 from 12.5 and now the backups are trying to spand 2 tapes, even though they can fit on one with compression and have before I did the upgrade. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Win server 2003 R2, tape drive powervault 114T, using drivers supplied by symantec.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How much compression you are getting with your backups?

The ratio of compression you will achieve will mostly depends upon the type of data you are backing up.

May be some new data added to your backups, which is causing BE to use more media to write backups.

Regards...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How much compression you are getting with your backups?

The ratio of compression you will achieve will mostly depends upon the type of data you are backing up.

May be some new data added to your backups, which is causing BE to use more media to write backups.

Regards...

King
Level 3

I was achieving 1.4:1 compression and could fit approx 275GB on a tape that could hold up to 400GB with compression.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Are you using the latest driver pak from Symantec?

Have you tried the manufacturer's drivers?

Have you tried a few passes of the manufacturer's diagnostics?

King
Level 3

Where can I download the symantec driver pack? 

I haven't tried the diagnostics test, will try that and see how it goes.

Will there be any compatibility issues if I attempt to use the manufacturer's drivers instead of the symantec drivers?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153090

When running the diagnostics, be sure to shut down all BE Services

Should be no compatibility problems.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

A 1.4:1 compression ratio is a good ratio.  The 400GB capacity rating is assuming that you can get a 2:1 compression ratio which is quite difficult to achieve.

I would suggest that you look at your joblog and check the amount of uncompressed data that are sent to the tape before and after the upgrade.  I think you would find that the amount of data has increased. 

King
Level 3

Apparently you were correct at the begining Kiran, my data has gone over the capacity of the tape given the compression ratio that we are achieving. Thanks for all the help guys.