cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bacup Exec 2010 backup job takes long time for verification and then fails

Riaz
Level 3

Hello

We are using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 v 13.0 Rev 2896 64 Bit. Until a week ago we were taking backup to disks on the Backup Exec Server using Backup to Disk. Since the server were running out of space, we purchased a Data Domain (DD160 6TB with DD Boost technology).

Problems

During a system state backup of Windows Server 2008 R2 Server (Running DC), the backup job completes in about 1.5 hr. But then the verification takes more than 16 hours and then either fails or continues to verify.

If I remove the verify after backup option, the backup completes successfully.

Also note that if I am backing up a a folder which is 1 or 2 gb, it completes backup and verification in less than 30 minutes.

Any solutions for this.

Thanks

Riaz

7 REPLIES 7

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

If the job with System State has to fail, what error does it fail with?

Check if the following technote fits into your situation:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130834

Also, since you mentioned you're using Backup Exec 2010. It is strongly recommended that you upgrade your media server to the latest build i.e. Backup Exec 2010 R3 with latest Service Packs and Hotfixes asap.

beacuse between Backup Exec 2010 and 2010 R3+latest SP+latest hotfixes there have been several known issues fixed.

Also, you don't need any additional liceses to perform this upgrade.

Riaz
Level 3

Hi Bhavik

Thanks for the quick reply. Most of the time we are forced to cancel the job as the verification takes for ever. We have waited until 16 hours for the verification to complete. Please note the job is backing up around 70 GB of data and takes only a little above 1 hr. And then 16+ hrs for the verification. This forces us to cancel the verify operation. Is there any know issue with verification on backup taken to Data Domain devices?

Please do reply.

Thanks

Riaz

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You are using BE 2010 R1. I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version and it solves a lot of system state problems. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP2 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What is the verify speed of the little 1-2 GB jobs compared to the big 70 GB job?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think your problem is that you are using DD160 6TB with DD Boost technology.  The DD Boost technology gives you dedup capability, but in order to use this dedup capability you need to install the BE dedup option and install the DD OST plug-in.  If you do not have the BE dedup option, You should try to turn off the DD Boost technology if that is possible.  Otherwise get the BE dedup option and install the DD OST-plugin.  See the dedup appliance section of the HCL for the necessary requirements.

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Hardware (HCL)

Try running the B2Dtest utility against the DD and report back on the result

B2Dtest.exe

I believe that if you do your backup to an ordinary B2D folder, your verify will finish in a timely manner.

Riaz
Level 3

Hi pkh

DD Boost technology is presently not enabled. So this is not the case.

Thanks

Riaz

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To eliminate the DD as the cause of the problem, try backing up to a B2D folder on an internal disk.