cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices for backing up multiple servers?

Michael_Gossett
Level 4
Partner Certified
Using AOFO on databases is bad. Ok, but you can't choose to use AOFO for half of the backup job, therefor multiple backup jobs must be created, what is the suggested best practice for backing up about 10 servers half with data and databases the other half just data? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Firstly decide where you need to use AOFO. This would generally be user data that is in use while the backup occurs, or databases where there is no agent.
Then create 2 jobs, each backing up one type of data. This is because using AOFO as little as needed tends to be a good idea.
So one job backs up all the things that don't need AOFO (without using AOFO).
Then a second job comes along and backs up all the things that do need AOFO.

Of course there's no right or wriong, so your mileage may vary...

Michael_Gossett
Level 4
Partner Certified
You'd think so...I am BE10.x certified and have nothing but issues using BE in a multiple server configuration. One server that is being backed up and has BE installed on it works perfectly, add in more servers and it just does not work :(

Lawrence_Kosin
Level 4
I find that it is easiest to create a separate job for each server. This way if something fails, only one server is not backed up.

Brendan_Foley
Level 3
As stated above I would create two policy templates: one that enforces AOFO another that does not. Then create individual backup selection lists and create your jobs via policy. Simple, effective and gets the job done. I agree with statements above and would use AOFO sparingly, it can affect performance.