cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best option to configure backup jobs

geekgadget
Level 4

what is the best option to configure backup jobs by creating policies and defining the selection list for each specific servers that you have in your environment or by simiply configuring the backup job wizard.

regards

geekgadget

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you want GFS )Grandfather/Father/Son ie. MOnthly/Weekly/Daily), then use a policy, but unless you really know what to configure, don't go the option of creating a policy manually.

Create the selection first (split DBs and Data into 2 if need be), and then run through the policy wizard which will guide you on:

1. Names for your respective jobs;

2. Times and run days/dates;

3. Media set assignment;

4. At the end, selection list assignment.

It's pretty straight-forward too...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

If you want GFS )Grandfather/Father/Son ie. MOnthly/Weekly/Daily), then use a policy, but unless you really know what to configure, don't go the option of creating a policy manually.

Create the selection first (split DBs and Data into 2 if need be), and then run through the policy wizard which will guide you on:

1. Names for your respective jobs;

2. Times and run days/dates;

3. Media set assignment;

4. At the end, selection list assignment.

It's pretty straight-forward too...

Thanks!

geekgadget
Level 4

Hi CraigV ,

can you please let me know if we use the GF-F-S media rotation strategy what is the best way of assigning tape cartridges in Tape storage

Should I create a partition for Daily , weekly and monthly basis and how we can decide the number of cartridges for each one of them respectively.

regards

Geekgadget

CraigV

...Personally, I partition out libraries, and only for the sake of keeping things logical within the library. I can tell non-IT savvy people what slots to put tapes into, or take out of.

Some  people believe that just leaving the tape selection up to a media set is a better option, but each to their own. It works for me.