cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better way to restore from tape?

stacy_johnson
Level 3
Right now I'm backing up multiple servers to disk, then using a tape to back up the previously backed up files. So each tape consists of multiple .bkf files.

I recently had to restore a file from tape and had the hardest time, there's got to be an easier way. Here's what I did...

I put the tape in the drive and ran inventory/catalog jobs to gain information of the tape. I then restored what was on the tape to a re-directed path, we'll call it "Restore". Under the devices tab I created a new "backup-to-disk-folder", we'll call it "test", and pathed it to the directory Restore where my tape restoration went. After forgetting to set the properties of the test folder to accept files larger than 1 GB I was finally able to see the .bkf in the test folder - still under the devices tab. Then ran another inventory and catalog job to view the contents of the .bkf file in test and ran a restore job from there. After all was said and done I finally restored what needed to be restored.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this process seems like a little too much! I'm sure that because this was my first restore from tape I might have done some unecessary things, that's what I want to find out. And is there a way to skip the beginning part of my process, the whole catalog portion of what the tape has, especially since the label of the tape is saved in media set 1?
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Rather than "Backing Up" the BKF files, "Duplicate" them. You can then restore directly from tape.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

As Mr Putnam has rightly suggested, you can create duplicate jobs. This will be more easier for you to manage. Please refer to the following technote to create duplicate jobs:

How to configure duplicate jobs in VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x / 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096

Regards

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

stacy_johnson
Level 3
Thank you, this helps a lot!

Bev_Bohrer_2
Not applicable
Hi Stacey:
I'm in a pickle cause I will need to try and perform a restore from an unknown tape that may/may not have the right backup data on it. The media sets have changed, and just about everything else, since I've tried everything just to get current and successful backups the last two weeks.

From your post, it looks as if an inventory and catalog process is involved in a restore job.

Any advice on how to perform these and what these do?

Thanks
Bev

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you don't know what is on a given tape. all you can do is insert and inventory. fi backupExec recognizes it, you're good to go. If not you'll have to catalog it. if Backup Exec chokes and says it already exists, you can shut down BackupExec, rename the catalogs directory to catalogs.sav and restart the services. then inventory and catalog again.

Remember to change the catalogs dir back ;)

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Ken, when you say, "if Backup Exec chokes and says it already exists" do you mean when it has knowledge of the tape, but doesn't have it in the catalog? If so, then logic would dictate that you can just catalog it, but sometimes as you say, it chokes (complains about not being able to write to the database IIRC).
In that case, you CAN do as you say, shutdown services, rename catalogs folder, restart services, but in practice I found that you then needed to not use storage media based catalogs.
Another method which someone else found, and I found easier, is to simply delete the tape from BE. Move it to retired media first, then delete it from BE. Then reinventory it, and catalog it. I found this less hassle, faster (as you use the media based catalog), and all your catalogs are in the same place then.FAQ item added http://www.backupexecfaq.com/faq/using/how-to-find-the-contents-of-a-tape.html

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if I haven't said so before

Very nice FAQ

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Contributions always welcome... ;)