cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen on reboot after non-IDR restore

Jim_Olding
Level 3
I am using BE10 build 5484. I have a backup of a Windows 2003 Standard SP1 server that functions as a domain controller. I am performing a local test restore on the machine. The restore runs and completes with no errors. After the restore completes, I reboot the PC. The system runs thru the BIOS and then just sits at a black screen.

I do not get any white bar at the bottom of the screen, and there is no error message on the screen. If I boot from CD to a recovery console, I can get to a command prompt, but running bootcfg /scan tells me there are no valid Windows installations.
10 REPLIES 10

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Jim,

- After you Reboot, do you see any errors or events in the event log?
- please give us details on how you have created the IDR CD or the boot media.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Jim_Olding
Level 3
This is a non-IDR restore I am attempting. When I created the backup, I backed up the C: partition and the Volume Shadow Copy components. I then followed the directions located here ( http://support.veritas.com/docs/236240 ) to perform the recovery.

After rebooting, the system is inoperable. I cannot get into Windows to check for any event log messages. There are no error messages on the screen when the system attempts to boot.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Jim,

Do you get this screen after you Install the OS manually? and then reboot?

Or after Restoring all the components (shadow copy Components and Drives?)

Could you also tell us which selctions are you restoring first? The C drive and the System state? or the drives first?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Jim_Olding
Level 3
When I install the OS manually, everything works correctly. It is only after performing the restore that I get the black screen.

When I am restoring, I am selecting the C: and Volume Shadow Copy components.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Are you trying to perform restore to different hardware?

Was the system state included in backup selections?

Is any database like exchange being restored?

Also let us know if there are any error messages in event log.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jim_Olding
Level 3
I am restoring to a different platform. The original system is a Dell PowerEdge 2550. I am attempting to restore to a virtual machine using VMware Server.

System State is included in the backup selections.

This machine is an Active Directory Domain Controller. It does not have an SQL or Exchange loaded.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Restore was successful?

Have you renamed the catalog folder before the restore?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_Olding
Level 3
I have tried the restore several times, including renaming the catalog folder as listed here: http://support.veritas.com/docs/272886

I would not say the restore is successful. The restore completes with no errors, but the system is in an unusable state after restarting.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Could you check whether you have already installed the following hotfix:

10.0 5484 Hotfix 23 - Remote Agent (After restoring a Windows 2003 Service Pack 1 computer, the computer no longer boots up) *Requires Backup Exec 10.0.5484 Service Pack 1

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276540

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_Olding
Level 3
That hotfix fixed the problem! Thank you for your help!