cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying recommendations

Mats_Skoglund
Level 2
Hi!
I am evaluating Backup Exec 11d to be used in a small business environment but have some problems figuring out what I need, perhaps someone of you can help me? What licenses/options/remote agents do I need for the following:
- Backup of a Windows 2003 Server Standard production machine from a another Backup machine onto a tape drive on the backup machine?
- Backup of maximum 10 desktop computers (no laptops)
- Backup of SQL Server 2005 Express on the production machine
The backup of the production machine (including SQL server) may be done at nighttime, no continuous protection needed, the SQL server service may be shut down during the backup. All computers are on the same LAN.

Optionally: What other licenses/options (if any) would be required to perform:
- Backup-to-disc-to-tape of the production machine to discs on the backup machine and then to tape?

Some other related questions:
What of the above is included in the Backup Exec 11d for Windows Server, what is included in Backup Exec 11d for Small business Server?
Do I need to run Windows Server 2003 standard/small busniness server on the backup machine or would XP be enough? If I buy Backup Exec 11d for small business server will it backup a Win 2003 Standard Server or do I need Backup Exec 11d for Windows Server to do that?

Perhaps its just me, but I have really big problems figuring out from the White Papers of Backup Exec 11d what is included and what requires optional licences. Since almost everything seems to be inluded in the trialware i cannot determine from that what I can and cannot do without extra licences when/if a decide to buy.

Thank you very much in advance.

/Mats
4 REPLIES 4

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Mats,
As Backup Exec has grown over the years to about a dozen add-ons and hundereds of included features, it can be confusing to figure out where to start.
I will try to help you figure it out.
First, the Backup Exec Small Business Server Edition is specifically for the Miscrosoft Windows Small Business Server operating system and cannot be installed to regular Windows. However, you can backup other Windows systems from a Small Business Server.
So, here is what you need for what you describe:
1 Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11d --this will cover the following requests:
This will serve as the backup engine
Backup-to-Disk-to-Tape
This can be installed to a Windows XP system, but not to a Windows Small Business Server
1 Backup Exec Agent for Windows Systems for the production server
Optional: 1 Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SQL Server if you do actually want to backup SQL without shutting it down.
1 10-pack Desktop and Laptop Option (DLO) (10 pack is the smallest pack)

I hope that clears things up for you.
Daniel

Mats_Skoglund
Level 2
Thanks for the answer, just a follow-up question to make things really clear. We are considering buying a new production server and it will also have Win 2003 Server, either Standard or SMB. Would the following be possible:
1 Production Server with Win 2003 SMB
1 Backup server running Win 2003 Standard Server, or XP with Backup Exec 11d SMB backing up the production server?

To put it another way: Is it the box where I *install* Backup Exec 11d SMB that needs to have Win 2003 SMB or is it the server that I want to backup that need to have Win 2003 SMB?

Does Backup Exec 11d SMB include the SQL server agent?

Thanks

/Mats

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
The Backup Exec Small Business Server Edition will ONLY install on the Windows Small Business Server platform. The premium version includes SQL and Exchange and other options for complete protection of the Small Business Server itself.

Mats_Skoglund
Level 2
Thanks for the answers. Just an advice, you (Symantec) should seriously, seriously consider reviewing the white-papers and marketing materials for Backup Exec. I have had really big problems sorting out what is included in the box and what features require extra licences. Looks like your marketing people are trying to lay out smokescreens so potential customers should get the impression that Backup Exec 11d can do everything but in fact some of the features require additional licences. For example, when I installed the trialware I got the message that "some features included in the trialware require additional licences in the sharp version", BUT WHICH of the features, I ask my self screaming! From other postings in the forum I can see that other have the same problems getting a valid picture of your licensing scheme.

Best regards
Mats