cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Byte count keeps going up and never finishes the backup job

Koji_Kawakita
Level 3
Hi all,

I have Backup Exec 10,0 Rev5489 with service pack 4 in Windows 2003 Server SP1.
I have remote agent, open file, and Intelligent disaster recovery modules loaded.

The problem is that when the backup job runs, byte count keeps going up and runs forever until the tape capacity runs out. I have about 130GB Data to backup, but the both differential and full backup job go over several hundread GB and normally, I have to cancel the job. Do you know why this may be happenin? I would appreciate your feedback. Thaks
9 REPLIES 9

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Koji,

We would like to know what exactly you are backing up?

If you are backing up multiple servers in a single job, is it possible for you to split the job into different smaller backup jobs and verify the result?

Please do revert back on this.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Koji_Kawakita
Level 3
Thank you for your feedback. I will try backing up each server individually to see what happens. I will report back tomorrow.

Currently, I am backing up Windows 2003 Server (Domain Controller), Windows 2000 Server (Domain Controller, Print server), Windows Powered NAS, and Windows 2003 Server (Backup Exec) in a single backup job. Windows 2000 Server is in a different domain, but all servers are physically in the same location.

All files and componenets, such as Shadow Copy Components and Utility Partition are selected to be backed up.

Koji_Kawakita
Level 3
Hi,

I just ran a full backup individually on 2 servers, and it seems to complete successfully, but when I double click on the job history to view detail, I get the following error. I can not view the history.

"C:\Docum~1\Locals~1\Temp\hist5b8_69542_ae45kl~df.html contains an invalid path".
Could this be a reason why my backup job never finishes?

Please let me know what I can do to resolve this issue. Thank you.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you getting ant alerts during the backup job?

Run the sgmon before the backup job.

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Koji_Kawakita
Level 3
I did a repair install, and I am able to view the job history and the logs now, but when I run a backup job for the servers, it still runs forever until the tape runs out of space. I will try the debug tool and report back to you with the result.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- We will wait for an Update from you..

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Koji_Kawakita
Level 3
Hi,

I have the log captured by SGMON.exe. What error message should I look for?
When I backup a server individually, it completes successfully except for the NAS volume.

My question is that if the account used to backup the NAS does not have sufficient access to certain folders, would it cause the Byte count to go up forever?

Koji_Kawakita
Level 3
The problem seems to be caused by backing up the NAS. Recently, the NAS joined a different domain and the system account used by Backup Exec doesn't have sufficient access in certain files and folders. Would this cause the Byte Counter to go up forever?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please Paste the error message that you receive in the sgmon.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

***************************************************************************************************************************************