cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CASO and partition Qualstar library

Carl_Sanger
Level 3
We have a Qualstar TLS-88264 partitioned into two logical libraries (a & b). The left side is one logical library with four LTO2 drives and the right side is the other with four LTO3 drives. Each logical library is connected to a standalone Backup Exec v10.0.5520 server running on Windows 2003.

I want to install and use the Veritas Central Admin Server Option (CASO) on SERVER1 and make SERVER2 a media server. When I try this, Backup Exec sees both media servers correctly but it sees the server1 logical libary connected to both SERVER1 and SERVER2. The device tree in Backup Exec looks like this:

SERVER1 (server)
...Robotic Libraries
......SERVER1-LTO (library)
.........IBM 1 (tape drive)
.........IBM 2 (tape drive)
.........IBM 3 (tape drive)
.........IBM 4 (tape drive)
.........SERVER1-LTO (slots)
SERVER2 (server)
...Robotic Libraries
......SERVER1-LTO (library)
.........IBM 5 (tape drive)
.........IBM 6 (tape drive)
.........IBM 7 (tape drive)
.........IBM 8 (tape drive)

I believe this is because BackupExec uses the library serial number to track the physical location of individual libraries and because both logical libraries have the same serial number, it gets confused. Can you confirm if this is correct? Any thoughts on a workaround?

-Carl Sanger
5 REPLIES 5

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Carl

I am making assumptions (Forgive me if I am on the wrong track totally here), but I take it the TLS-88264 is on your SAN? And the Logical library implementation you have done is via Qualstar SANsmart option?

You are correct regarding the serial numbers of the library - because it looks like the library was first to register with SERVER1, that it why you are seeing it like that on SERVER2.

The only way I can see this working is by doing the following:-
1. Don't partition like it is now - let BE see the library as 1 library, 8 drives.
2. Partition the library from within Backup Exec.
So for example with the partitions you have at the moment:-
Partition 1 (Slot 1 to 121) - Add IBM1, IBM2, IBM3, IBM4 to it.
Partition 2 (Slot 122 to 132) - Add IBM1, IBM2, IBM3, IBM4 to it
An Example Partition 3 (Slot 133 to 264) - Add IBM5, IBM6, IBM7, IBM8 to it.

All partitions would be seen on both servers, you will just have to make sure your jobs are pointing to the correct partition. Note however the the BE SSO (San Shared Storage Option) is needed.

Hope that makes sense.

Carl_Sanger
Level 3
John,

Your assumptions are reasonable, but unfortunately not correct. The TLS-88264 is not connected to a SAN. It is instead split down the middle into two logical libraries. Both logical libraries have two SCSI busses with two LTO drives each. Each logical library is then connected to it's own Backup Exec server with two SCSI cables.

This configuration has worked very well for us when the two backup servers were independent. Can you see any other workaround for CASO?

-Carl Sanger

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Carl, no - there is no workaround for your current setup for use with CASO.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Carl,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us if your query has been replied to.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Carl_Sanger
Level 3
John Chisari explained in a previous post that the configuration I'm trying to use won't work. I'm unable to use CASO because libraries are registed within Backup Exec by their serial number. I believe the question is answered.

-Carl Sanger