cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS 12.5 and Windows 2008 Blue Screening - Serious Issue

a_user
Level 3
I see very little on this topic but I cant belive we are the only ones! We have one 2008 64bit file server hosting just over 5tb of data that is randomly blue screening with nothing in the event logs leading up to the crash. We had this issue previously with another 2008 64bit server in the same role that was replaced by this one. I performed a clean install, performed all updates and migrated the data over. The ONLY addition this server has from bone stock is Sophos AV installed and backup exec 12.5 remote agent. As of last night I disabled the on access scanning to try and rule this out as a possible culprit.

The server has two partitions on local disks. 40gb for the OS and 85gb used strictly for the CPS journal and index files. The CPS volume is excluded from any kind of scanning. The remainder of the volumes reside on a SAN. Here is the interesting part though, CPS was installed and running and but not configured to perform any back jobs yet. I am certain it is a problem related to CPS though since the previous server was configured in the exact same way and would randomly crash even if the CPS services were not backing up. As soon as CPS was uninstalled (this was tried two or three times over about a 2 month period) it would start exhibiting the same symptoms again, just being installed and running the services but not necessarily backing up with CPS (only backup exec agent).

Our issue here is the large amount of data makes it near impossible to get good full or differential backups through the week and weekend with a standard backup solution, however CPS has proven to be very unreliable for us on this platform. With that being said however, we have run CPS on another file server with about 2.5-3 tb of data also with sophos but on windows 2003 and not experienced any problems.

I am interested to hear from others who have experienced this problem and what the solution or work around was. I have submitted two tickets to symantec on this issue and it was dropped soon after in both cases (within a week maybe two at the most) without a resolution. It seems to me Symantec either a) dosent really care about customer's issues or b) knows theres a problem and are not willing to address it.
1 REPLY 1

lakewood
Level 2
Partner
We have a customer with the same issue. We are backing up a 2003 server and another 2008 server to a 2008 CPS server. The 2003 server is working great. The 2008 server that is being backed up has started blue screening randomly since the CPS backup was installed on it. We have disable the CPS on the 2008 server and the blue screens have stopped. It is not running hyper-V. If we are able to resolve it I will post back here. Our last support incident with the CPS group took over 5 days to get in touch with a support person.