cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS Install for 11d

WCBAY
Level 3
We have installed Continuous Protection Service on  couple machines with no problems.  We are having problem with one system though.  The Service does not automatically start and if I try to start it by going to Start -> Administrative Tools -> Services it tells me....

"Could not start the Backup Exec Continuous Backup Agent service on Local Computer.  Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I google'd the 1053 error and microsoft said to apply an update to .NET 1.1 SP1, problem is, .NET isn't on this server.

So if anyone has any ideas or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.  Thank you in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

PHOENIX_2
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

There is prerequisite of installing .Net framework before Continuous Protection Server and its components.
Although you don't have to install .net framework sparately as when you install CPS or its components, first the .net framwork is installed (if not installed).

If you want to install a CP agent on a serever than install it from CP server where you have install CMS and Admin Console.
During the installation there a option comes " if required restart the system", if you don't check this then you have to manually restart the system and it is definitely required.
And after the rebooting the system check the CPS services status, if not started then start the services by running CPS server manager utility. It is placed in home directory of the CP agent i.e. where the CP agent software is installed.( i don't remember the path so excuse me).
now you can your CP agent's system in CPS Admin console under setup -- servers

WCBAY
Level 3
Phoenix - thanks for responding.  The Backup server has .NET 2.0 so that part is ok.  The servers we'd like to run the CP agent on do not haev .NET installed and all of them work fine except this 1 server.  Here are some specs on the one trouble machine to see if that helps.  We are running Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 SP2 on that box.  From what I've seen that shouldn't be an issue but please correct me if that is wrong.

I also tried using the utility to start the service and it said the service is not responding to the control function.

WCBAY
Level 3
Rebuilt the trouble server without any service packs this time (so only Windows 2003 x64 Enterprise) and it still won't start the Continuous Protection Agent service, still get the Error 1053 message.  Any ideas?

WCBAY
Level 3
ok installed .NET 1.1 on the trouble server anyway and repushed the CPA and it now works.