cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS - Minimum Server Requirements

ARK
Level 2
I just installed BackupExec 11D & CPS on a server running Windows SBS2003

During the CPS setup it say that it failed because there is only one Server present and in needs a minimum of two. It needs a "Business Server" for the data and a "Protection Server" where the data is backed up.

Am I missunderstanding. How many small businesses with 10 - 20 users maintain two Servers?

I had assumed before buying the product that I could install and run CPS with the SBS Server and backup on a USB or NAS Hard Disk.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Ark,

CPS most likely not what you are looking for.  If you are just looking to backup data from the SBS server to a external drive or tape device then you will need Backup Exec for Windows Servers (SBS Edition).  This will allow you to do what you are looking for.

CPS is ment for replicating data from Server A to Server B, not Server A to drive.

Hope this helps.

ARK
Level 2
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am running Backup Exec 11D and back up to folders and/or tape, but this only happens once a day.

CPS runs hourly snapshots etc. Can I do that without CPS.

Regards

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
"CPS runs hourly snapshots etc. Can I do that without CPS."

For functionality like that, you are going to need 2 servers to replicate the data.  You could do hourly backups with Backup Exec.  You could do hourly snapshots, etc just using windows, but if you are not storing that data on a different location and that server goes down the functionality is rather useless.