cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS causing Kernel Stack Overfolw 7F BSOD

VeloTime
Level 4
I'm getting a BSOD on a Windows server 2003.
Debugging the memory dump points to CpsFsJnl.sys. The version of this file is 11.0.100.0601
The exact BSOD is UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP. The first parameter is 0x00000008 which indicates a double-fault exception.

After debugging I can tell that the value of the ESP regisiter is outside the stack range of the current thread.

Has anybody experienced this, or a similiar error?
Is there a more recent version of this file?

Any other ideas?

TIA
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Adam,

Latest version appears to be 11.0.400.701.  Which revision of CPS are you running? Go to Help - About to get the revision number.

VeloTime
Level 4
I'm running build # 11.1.403.9801.

I had another BSOD last night in the middle of the back up of this server. After debugging this dump it seems to be pointing at SYMEVENT.SYS.
This is Symantec AV filter driver. I've had a similar error before from SYMEVENT.
It appears that enabling CPS has added more filter drivers to the system (CpsFsJnl.sys) and they are not interacting very well with the other filter drivers.

When I contacted MS about this error months ago they informed me to contact the vendors of the filter drivers (Symantec) and get them to address the issue. These drivers don't seem to be to frugel w/ memory. There was no real solution provided by Symantec, so I disabled another MS driver SIS.sys. Doing this seemed to free up enough space on the stack to eliminate the errors, until CPS was enabled. Now I'm back to where I was before.

Any ideas on how I can get this kernel stack issue resolved?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Honestly your best bet is going to be to call in and get a support ticket going for the issue.