cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS - extremely slow

Christian_Reich
Level 3
Hello,
we installed a fresh pair of cps servers and created a job to synchronize first the semi-private user shares. The configuration-wizard did find everything to be all right but install from a terminal server - OK, the install was no problem.
Now I can see that the copy process is extremely slow: both of the servers are IBM Bladeserver HS20 with Gigabit but CPS does not get used to it. Apr. 1% of the ethernet speed and 2% CPU is used and this little copy job takes more than 12h!
I tried to set a bandwidth limit. Maybe it would force this job but nothing happens so I removed any limitation.

Please Veritas, answer asap, because otherwise we would not bye this product for our company.

Thanks,
Christian
12 REPLIES 12

Steve_TYiybg
Level 4
Have you tried installing CPS SP1 and rebooting the servers.
Have you ran network tests between the two server...windows file copies?

Im assuming your telling the job to use a specific NIC.

I would also consider spending the $95 to open a case with Veritas if you looking to buy the product.

These forums are moderated but arent exactly free support.

Christian_Reich
Level 3
> Have you tried installing CPS SP1 and rebooting the servers.

Yes.

>Have you ran network tests between the two server...windows file copies?

Yes. Both they are very fast.

>Im assuming your telling the job to use a specific NIC.

No, only one nic is active, the servers are idle.

>I would also consider spending the $95 to open a case with Veritas if you looking >to buy the product.

Is this normal beahavior?

> These forums are moderated but arent exactly free support.

Yeah, I see. But thanks for your hints.

Christian

Christian_Reich
Level 3
Is there anybody out there having cps up and running FAST? I mean with more than 1% of 1000Tx?
I did set up two other servers on non-IBM Hardware - "the same procedure as last year": Sync takes hours and hours.

THNX - Christian

Support_User
Level 4
Identical issue. Runs extremely slow. Quite possible it is too slow to be of use for more than a few hundred GB.

Christian_Reich
Level 3
Does anybody get a performance beyond of 1MB/s?

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
I'm having the same issue. I thought it was the file server at first, but we cleared up the I/O bottleneck on that end.

Rarely get over 1% on Gig-E, and never over 3%

Anyone know if you can use a robocopy or something to pre-populate the target? That would get me past the inital hump, and then I should be able to keep up after that.

Benno_Belhumeur
Not applicable
I'm having this issue as well.

I believe I have all SPs and Hotfixes installed. Have reinstalled and rebuilt jobs from scratch to no avail.

I know I don't have any bottlenecks because I use B2D in BE 10d and get much better throughput (10x). It is only the initial sync in CPS that takes days to complete.

With regard to post #2 in this thread:

Could someone tell me how to select a specfic NIC for a job? I see where you can specify the server and speed (in the Properties of the job) but not the specific adapter. I know you can do this is BE 10d, but haven't found it in CPS.Message was edited by:
Benno Belhumeur

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Christian,

Could you please Update us on the issue..

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

John_Barrett
Not applicable
I sent a nasty e-mail to our Symantec rep today. I installed CPS on 2 new servers, setup a CPS Backup job, then proceeded to wait almost 4 hours for the system to backup 5Gb. I then installed Backup Exec, setup a Backup Exec job to back the remote server up, and the 5Gb backup completed in about 15 minutes.

Here is a list of other issues I've run across with CPS:

-If CPS runs across a file it can't backup, it fails the job completely. I.E. it doesn't backup the rest of the files on the server, it just stops running. At least Backup Exec would mark the job "Completed with Exceptions"...not so with CPS.

-Starting a job manually requires at least 30 minutes of "Gathering Information" to take place on a server with as little as 5Gb of data. Hate to see a 100Gb backup with CPS, it would take all week (and no, I'm not doing any pre-scanning).

-Backing up a server with NT compressed drives or files seems to require you to have your backup destination compressed as well. Otherwise the job fails because it can't backup the compressed files on the source server.

-Where are the alerting or reporting features that Backup Exec has? You would think a backup system would have some sort of alerting system to inform you of the failed jobs your going to experience.

I'm very disappointed in CPS...it clearly is not ready for a large environment with numerous servers, SOX reporting requirements, high performance requirements, etc. I could backup my servers to USB quicker and more reliably than with CPS.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Christian,

Could you please Update us on the issue..

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Christian_Reich
Level 3
Hello,
no, the problem does still exist. A lot of testing iron was used with no effort - CPS only uses 0,1% bandwidth or in other words 12,5MB/min over a dedicated 1000Tx connection.

btw: Did you ever tried to get used by your website with safari? No reply, helpf
ul a.s.o. buttons...

by,
Christian

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Christian,
Could you give us more Information about your NIC and the Job Configuration?

- What is the Total Data size that you have selected to backup?
- What are the NIC mode settings?
- Are the Drivers and the Firmware of the NIC updated?
- Are both the servers in the same Domain?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.