cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRC error when labeling new tapes

TGiering
Level 3

I had to swap out our HP Storageworks DAT72 drive last week with a brand new one.  To test I labeled a new DDS4 tape  (didn't have any spare DAT72 tapes)  and proceeded to do a full backup and verify of the server without issues.  Today I tried to label some additional NEW DDS4 tapes and they are failing with CRC checks  (2 so far)  yet another test with existing tape media (DDS72) completed just fine.  No errors.  Very puzzled.

Running BE 10D

Thoughts? 

Seems I may have spoke too soon..  although the initial test done last Friday seem to have ran and verified fine, when I put that tape back into the drive it is now Unknown Media and cannot be Cataloged.  It appears as if BE and the HP Dat Drive is labeling, cataloging properly only the DAT72 tapes and not the older DDS4

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

it almost sounds like the drive isn't really backward comptible

Grab a copy of HP's LTT - Library and Tape Tools  and run a few passes against the drive

(Be sure to shut down all the BE services before running it)

TGiering
Level 3

Downloaded and did the initial scan..  LTT only see's the onboard scsi  (that is not in use)  it does not see the Adaptec 39160 and consequently the HP Storageworks drive either.

I half suspected when I installed it that it might not see the tape drive as I am using BE's drivers.  But to NOT SEE the Adaptec 39160?

TGiering
Level 3

Decided to do a reboot just in case the LTT software needed it..  boy was that a mistake.  SBS Server seemed to boot properly but absolutely no network connectivity!  Event view was slammed with BE ADAMM errors relating to an internal Sony drive that had been disabled for more than a year!

Uninstalled LTT and deleted the Sony drive from BE.  Shut down and then cold booted.  System backup..  users no longer breathing down my neck..  Will have to continue this later tonight!

Am going to remove the internal Sony drive on Channel A of the controller and move the HP drive from Channel B to A.  It is possible that maybe the HP LTT tools don't recognize a dual channel controller????

TGiering
Level 3

Well moving the tape drive to Channel A of the Adaptec 39160 controller allowed the HP LTT software to find the drive.  Basic tests ran without errors.  Overwrite tests using a DDS4 tape ran without errors.  Media compatibility according to the LTT report is back to DDS3 so it "should" work. 

Not sure at this point.  Going to proceed using only DAT72 tapes.