cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Backup Exec 2014 be installed on Windows Storage Server 2012

valiantj
Level 2

Hi there,

I'm new to Backup Exec solution.  I have two questions.  

1) Do Backup Exec 2014 have to be installed onto a standalone server?

2) Can Backup Exec 2014 be installed onto a NAS running Storage Server 2012?

Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions.

14 REPLIES 14

Steve_4
Level 4

Hi Valiantj,

For the first question;
No, it does not have to be installed on a standalone server, other roles etc can be installed on the same server as the backup exec server....It is just not practice by Microsoft...But Symantec has not mentioned any issues.

To answer your second question,

Yes, Windows storage server 2012 is supported with Backup Exec 2014:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH217478/be_2014_scl.pdf

Regards,
Steve

Steve_4
Level 4

Oh and make sure you comply with the hardware compatibility list as well if installing on a server which is not standalone: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH214803/be_2014_hcl.pdf

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Can Backup Exec 2014 be installed onto a NAS running Storage Server 2012?

What is the make and model of this NAS?

Normally, the NAS manufacturer would not allow anything to be installed on the NAS, including BE.  The OS of the NAS is normally a customised and harden version of the OS.

valiantj
Level 2

pkh - its a DELL PowerVault NX3200.  It came preloaded with Windows Storage Server 2012.

Thanks

valiantj
Level 2

Thanks, I will be sure to review the attached document beforehand. 

Steve_4
Level 4

Sorry must have skimmed over the NAS part, Storage Server is supported otherwise

Pkh, this particular NAS is not designed to host applications but can if they are a backup or storage solution such as backup exec.

So yes you can install Backup Exec on this device Valiantj

Regards,
Steve

*Please mark as answer if this has solved your query*

Steve_4
Level 4

Also, pkh.
He has stated that it is running windows storage server 2012 which already indicates that this NAS is designed to hold a non-customised-for-NAS OS

The fact that storage server with this NAS model has been reported as using Backup Exec 2010 R3 fine/successfully and it is software compatible with 2014 indicates that it should theoretically work.

Although, in the Hardware compatability list which I linked, your device is not listed but the NX3500 above it is listed. This most likely indicates that Symantec have not tested the device as nothing is too different in the hardware of both the 3200 and 3500

pkh
   VIP    Certified

He has stated that it is running windows storage server 2012 which already indicates that this NAS is designed to hold a non-customised-for-NAS OS

You conveniently missed his last answer in which he said, "It came preloaded with Windows Storage Server 2012".  Please provide the documentation that state that this NAS can be loaded with a non-customised-for-NAS OS.

The fact that storage server with this NAS model has been reported as using Backup Exec 2010 R3 fine/successfully

Please provide the document/source to support this statement.  This device is also not listed in the BE 2010 HCL.

This most likely indicates that Symantec have not tested the device as nothing is too different in the hardware of both the 3200 and 3500

On what basis are you making this statement?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

this particular NAS is not designed to host applications but can if they are a backup or storage solution such as backup exec.

Please provide the documentation to back up this statement

So yes you can install Backup Exec on this device

Please provide the documentation to back up this statement.

If it is possible to install BE in a NAS, then why do we need servers?

Steve_4
Level 4

Sorry not sure how to quote so just piece everything together.

I have extensively researched this device for valiant to assist him and you, who have not looked into this device at all claim to know what you are talking about

Please refer to the following:

Previous discussion, answers clearly state that BE 2010 R3 has worked for this device: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Servers/Q_28334930.html

Please look at the HCL for both BE 2010 R3 and BE 2014 again which I have already linked....The NX3500 is listed in BE 2014's HCL which is practically the same device as the NX3200....It even clearly says that this NAS type of device only works over CIFS and not ISCSI (This indicates that it is a file sharing NAS) (If you look at a cross check comparison of the NX3200 and NX3500, the 3200 has all the system requirements needed for Backup exec, it is also similar in hardware and exact same software to NX3500...It is just an old, out of date NAS which is why I claimed it may have not been tested (Note I said this was likely they had not tested....I did not say it was factual)

You conveniently missed his entire question which states that storage server 2012 is loaded on to this NAS...right at the top there....Windows....I count that as a not customised for NAS OS unlike synology or FreeNAS etc...

I would like to see links to your claims....I'm curious as to how you still believe that the official symantec documents do not contain correct information.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am not a premium member of Experts Exchange so I cannot read the document.  In any case, it is user experience.  As long as the particular model of the device is not in the HCL, it is not supported.  It does not matter whether other devices in the family are supported.  At best, the OP can test the device with the B2DTest utility and determine whether any features that are required by BE fail.

You conveniently missed his entire question which states that storage server 2012 is loaded on to this NAS...right at the top there....Windows....I count that as a not customised for NAS OS unlike synology or FreeNAS etc...

What about his later comment in which he says that Server 2012 comes preloaded?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/can-backup-exec-2014-be-installed-windows-storage-server-2012#comment-10278461

It does not count?

You keep claiming that you can load a non-customised OS and BE onto the NAS. How do you install the OS and BE onto the NAS if the NAS does not have a proper console?  Are you able to hook up a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the NAS and use it like a normal machine?

I'm curious as to how you still believe that the official symantec documents do not contain correct information.

When did I say that the official Symantec documents do not contain correct information?

Steve_4
Level 4

Ah yes me neither, but when I first viewed this it came up for me...strange, now it does not :\

Like I mentioned earlier (Again don't know how to quote) Installing BE on this NAS device is possible with storage server 2012...You claimed more than once that it is not possible to install BE to a NAS. It is most definitely possible as the newer models of the family are listed as compatible with Backup Exec. Which ties in to your next claim that you never said the offical HCL was incorrect...by continuing to claim that BE cannot be installed to a NX series device, you are claiming that even the symantec documents are wrong, as well as multiple other user forums, please read my PM regarding how to find this series of NAS devices in the BE HCL as supported...

Ok you have once again skimmed over my generalisation where I called it a 'non-customised OS' and then even told you that is what I would call it (Not official), because storage server is not like the other NAS specific companies in my opinion as storage server can be installed on many devices in my experience. Please refrain from quoting before reading my replies...You also seem to have misunderstood when I did call it a 'non-customised OS' As I actually called it a 'non-customised OS for a NAS' it's a customised OS for storage services not for a NAS machine, yet it is designed to work with a NAS machine.

As I mentioned in the PM as well, could you please provide documents as to your claims? You are claiming that this will not work despite all links which I have so kindly gone out of the way to provide, and yet you have no factual nor logical evidence which support your claims...

Regards,
Steve

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We probably need to clear up some confusion here:

1) Regarding the BE 2014 Software Compatibility List (SCL) and the information it contains about Windows Storage Server 2012.

.. a) In the "Backup Exec Server Operating System Compatibility" section we include both Windows Server 2012 Storage Server and Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Server as supported. This means we fully support the installation of a Media server on this operating system irrespective of the hardware. Yes it is possible that a specific hardware vendor may harden their installation and Symantec would treat these issues on an individual basis when we are notified of them, but you would remain supported and would be able to log a support case.

.. b) both 2012 Storage server variants are also documented as supported in the "Agent Operating System Compatibility" section, allowing them to be backed up as remote systems. Again full support but same comment applies against any possible hardening by the OEM vendor.

2) Regarding the BE 2014 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) and the information it contains about the Dell Powervault NX range of storage devices

.. a) The NX3500 is mentioned under the Disk Storage section indicating that we have tested it to use as a Disk Storage (B2D) device with the media server located somewhere else and accessing the share over CIFS remotely. This has nothing to do with installing BE on the NAS, it is purely a remote storage location and is only there as a guide because we cannot test all devices that can be used to host CIFS shares. As such if your device is not in this part of the list and you intend to use it this way then the B2Dtest tool can be used to validate the configuration. It is however likely that other devices in the same hardware family will also work for this setup.

..b) The NX3500 is also listed in the the NDMP Platforms section indicating the it is supported by the NDMP Option. Again typically the NDMP Option will work with other hardware devices in the same family as long as the operating system is the same, although as this is closer to being a fully defined support list than the CIFS share option then support might be denied if the specific device is on the list

What I am trying to state is please don't get confused when you should be looking at the HCL or the SCL to confirm support at a basic level. Media Server or Remote Agent installation supportability is linked to the Operating System and Defined in the SCL. Hardware specific options or backup target storage device configurations are linked to the HCL. Note: If a media server is supported on a given operating system then local backup to disk is also supported without needing to look at the HCL.

Note: Based on the above info it would appear that Steve_ gave a valid answer for the original posters question

Steve_4
Level 4

Thank you for that confirmation and clarification Colin.

So as I have mentioned (And for future cases) Just because a device from a family is not in the HCL it could just mean that that particular model has not being tested correct? (As this model is quite old)

I normally outline that hardware compatibility cannot be a definitive yes it works or no it does not but will recommend testing as it is more likely to work then not if all aspects (The OS and the hardware family) are listed as being supported... Should I continue to do so as in this post?

Thank you for your time Colin,
Steve