cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Catalogs be stored in more than one place?

Crummer
Level 3
I have a general question of Backup Exec 10 and it's Central Administration option. We are looking at different setup possibilities as we look to implement Backup Exec 10.

We currently have about 30 different sites that use their own Backup Exec Media Server to run their backups. Some of these sites have local administrators, others do not, depending on thier size. My question is this:

You can use the Central Administrator to do a Centralized Restore if the catalogs are stored on the Central Administrator server. What if I wanted to use the Centralized Restore for restores, but also wanted to have the catalogs on the local Backup Exec Media Server so that a local administrator could also do a restore if they wanted to? Is that possible? Would it be possible to have a backup run at a local site, saving its catalog on the local media server, and then having a service run later that night to copy the catalogs to the Central Administration server?

Thanks,
Crummer
1 REPLY 1

Mani_2
Level 6
Hello Crummer,

By default when you setup a Central Admin Server and perform the backup of Remote Managed Media Server, all the Catalogs are stored on the Remote Media Server and hence the Restore has to be performed from the Remote Media Server only.

However you can move the catalogs from Remote Media Server to the Central Admin Server to perform a Centralized Restore which is a one time process which will not allow you to perform Restores from the Remote Media Server.

Since the Entry of Catalog Location is stored in the Database it is not possible to move the Catalogs to the central server having a service run later at the night.

You may launch a product enhancement request using the following link:

You may also subscribe to our Email Notification Service for latest updates and new releases:

You can Download Admin Manual for more information from the following link.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

Hope this clarifies.