cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can 'Citrix' be backed up using Sym BackupExec with Agent for Application and Database?

Shwin23
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

One of my client wants to do a backup for the applications Exchange, Citrix and Oracle DB with Symantec BackupExec

Please guide me through what are the licenses that are required (Server and Agents licenses)

They want to do the backup to Quantum DXi6800

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
ADBO allows you to do synthetic backups and off-host backups. You don't need ESO if you want to use your appliance as an OST device. You just need to get the dedup option. You can buy a Windows agent license to backup the Citrix server, but there is no guarantee that when you restore the server, the Citrix application will work

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Citrix is not supported.

To backup Exchange and Oracle, you would need the base BE licence as well as 2 Agent for Applications and Databases licences.

If you want to use your Quantum DXi6800  as an OST device, then you would need the dedup option 

Shwin23
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you for your reply!

Do we need an Enterprise Server Option since its being backed up to Quantum DXi6800

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you want to use it as an ordinary disk, then there is no need, but if you want to use it as an OST device, then you will need ESO.

*EDIT*

Sorry. I was wrong earlier.  ESO does not include the dedup option, so you don't need it.  However, you need to buy the dedup option if you want to use your appliance as an OST device.

*END EDIT*

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Shwin23,

Backup Exec Enterprise Server Option is a bundled license that comprises the following:

• Advance Disk Backup Option
  • Central Admin Option
  • SAN Shared-storage Option

To answer your inquiry "Do we need an Enterprise Server Option since its being backed up to Quantum DXi6800", if you don't need the three functionality that included in Enteprise Server Option, the answer is you dont need to purchase ESO.

Shwin23
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you for the replies.

Sorry, but i am a noob and new to the products;

What are the main features of Advanced Disk Backup Option?

So, if the backup is being taken on the Quantum DXi6800 only as an open storage, then i will need an ESO? If not, i can just use the Media license and App/DB agent for the backup? 

Moreover, can i use agent for windows to backup the Citrix? Since, App/DB agent is not compatible with the same?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
ADBO allows you to do synthetic backups and off-host backups. You don't need ESO if you want to use your appliance as an OST device. You just need to get the dedup option. You can buy a Windows agent license to backup the Citrix server, but there is no guarantee that when you restore the server, the Citrix application will work