cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I back up to a tape device connected to another server?

Cbernard
Level 3
Backup Exec 9.1 is on a server connected to a disk array, and that's where all of our data is backed up to.  But once a week we back up to tape.  The problem is that this tape device is connected to another server, and we can't connect it directly to the server where Backup Exec is installed.  So my question is, can I back up to this tape device?  How?
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

No you can't. Unfortunately you cannot share a SCSI-attached tape drive so that it can be used as a backup device on another server.
You could share disks, and a tape library if you had a later version of BEWS with a SAN in place (SAN SSO), but there is no work-around for a SCSI tape.
What you could rather do is transfer BEWS 9.1 to the server with the tape drive, and create jobs to backup the other server to the disk array, and then once a week backup to tape.
Your current scenarion doesn't allow it though.

Laters!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Hi there,

No you can't. Unfortunately you cannot share a SCSI-attached tape drive so that it can be used as a backup device on another server.
You could share disks, and a tape library if you had a later version of BEWS with a SAN in place (SAN SSO), but there is no work-around for a SCSI tape.
What you could rather do is transfer BEWS 9.1 to the server with the tape drive, and create jobs to backup the other server to the disk array, and then once a week backup to tape.
Your current scenarion doesn't allow it though.

Laters!

lyon
Level 5
 No it can't unless you have backup exec loaded on the server with the tape device

Lyon

CraigV
Er...hadn't I said that first...?