cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't browse to 2008 R2 DC

Backthisup
Not applicable
Recently install BackupExec 12.5 to a 2008R2 server (Server3 from here).  There are two other 2008R2 servers, specs are nearly identical.  One is a DC and file server (Server1), the other is Exchange (Server2).

It installed to Server3 without issue, and I was able to push the agents out to both other servers without issue.  I am able to back up the local server, and I am able to browse to Server2 and backup the exchange store without issue.  However, when I go to browse Server1, it will just cause BackupExec to hang.  It will never error out, it will just hang until you force close it (We left it for over 24 hours).  We've removed and re-pushed the agent with the same problem.

Any assistance with the issue would be very much appreciated.  Please let me know if more info is needed.

THanks
5 REPLIES 5

tech29
Level 6
Hi, Backup Exec 12.5 doesn't support windows 2008 R2. You need to have Backup Exec 2010 for Windows 2008 R2.

AceyMan
Not applicable
How about if the Media server is still 12.5 (SP3 in my case) and the agent is 2010 x64 (for Win 2008 R2).

Should the 12.5 server be able to communicate and backup the updated agent?

That's the situation I need to make work, at least for the short term until we build up a new physical media server with Backup Exec 2010 on it.

Right now it is not working, but our media server has other issues as well, so I do not know whether to blame the scheme itself or if it is just another indication that our 12.5 server is in bad shape.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
BE12.5 media server will not be able to communicate with BE2010 remote agent.

Sush---
Level 6
Hello,
   BE 12.5 does not support Window 2008 R2 as Media server. Also BE 12,5 as media server and Remote agent of BE 2010 will not work together.

You can have BE 12.5 installed on other supported OS (Win 2008, 2003,2000) and BE 12.5 Remote agent working on Windows 2008 R2 server and it is partially supported which means it is supported only for backups of ((File System, System State, Shadow Copy Components Only). Any backups of applications like Exchange,SQL, etc are not supported.
For more information on this you can refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/335868

I suggest you can install Backup Exec 2010 R2 on your Windows 2008 R2 machine and also install the remote agent of BE 2010 R2 on other servers to work fine. You can also test that in the Evaluation period of 60 days. Visit www.backupexec.com to download BE 2010 R2.

Sush---
Level 6
Do you have any update on this ??  Is the query answered??