cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get B2D to work

BartHirst
Level 3
Hi all,

We are new to backup exec and can't get B2D to work.

Our System:

OS NameMicrosoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition (NAS Version)
Version5.2.3790 Service Pack 1 Build 3790
System ManufacturerGateway
System Model860NAS 2900376

**********JOB LOG:

Test Backup Tonight
Job name : Test Backup Tonight
Job type : Backup
Job status : Failed
Job log : C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX_SSINAS01_00012.xml
Server name : SSINAS01
Selection list name : Test Backup Tonight
Device name : Conshy Backup-to-Disk Folder 2
Target name : Conshy Backup-to-Disk Folder 2
Media set name : Conshy Backups
Error category : Resource Errors
Error : e00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34040

Job Summary Information

Original start time : Monday, July 25, 2005 9:00:40 PM
Job started : Monday, July 25, 2005 9:00:42 PM
Job ended : Monday, July 25, 2005 11:28:13 PM
Elapsed time : 02:27:31
Files : 1,815
Directories : 135
Skipped files : 0
Corrupt files : 0
Files in use : 0
Byte count : 2,549,627,878 bytes
Job rate : 20.00 MB/Min (Byte count divided by Elapsed time for job)

**********ERROR #1 (at beginning of job)

Event Type:Error
Event Source:Backup Exec
Event Category:None
Event ID:33808
Date:7/25/2005
Time:9:00:42 PM
User:N/A
Computer:SSINAS01
Description:
An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
Drive: ReadFMTable() SFMB Not Found (H:\ConshyBackupExecBackups_2\B2D000002.bkf). Error=13

**********ERROR #2 (towards end of job)

Event ID:33808
Time:11:17:07 PM
Description:
An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
Drive: ReadFMTable() SFMB Not Found (H:\ConshyBackupExecBackups_2\B2D000004.bkf). Error=13

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

**********ERROR #3 (final error 1)

Event ID:57612
Time:11:28:12 PM
Description:
A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device "Conshy Backup-to-Disk Folder 2".

**********ERROR #4 (final error 2)

Event ID:34113
Time:11:28:14 PM
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SSINAS01") (Job: "Test Backup Tonight") Test Backup Tonight -- The job failed with the following error: The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.

This is a brand new B2D Device. We have not upgraded or moved it. We have tried at least 4 backups and have same failure. After SP1 we were able to backup a little more data ~2.5GB before failure. The drives have over 50GB free space and our total backup should be around 16GB. The drive is new and unfragmented. I have run chkdsk on the disk and there are no errors.

Please help. We have latest update.

Suggestions? Comments?
15 REPLIES 15

BartHirst
Level 3
Hi all,

I'm starting to think this might have something to do with AD & Authentication? I noticed that If I leave the backup exec program running overnight on the server, when I come in the next morning sometimes it says "The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost" and I have to re-enter the domain password to continue.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

This error implies a communication issue between the backup and remote server.

Please check whether the port 10000 is opened on both the servers. Run telnet sessions on both the servers to check whether they are open or not.

Also check whether the ports are opened and defined in Backup Exec - Tools - Options - Network and Firewall - Media server and Remote Server port range.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256120

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258159

Please write to us if the issue persists.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

BartHirst
Level 3
First A few details:

-We have hotfix 25 & Service Pack 1 installed.
-This backup operation DOES NOT involve a remote server. We are backing up the local machine with the locally installed backup exec software to a local B2D Device.
-I have followed the procedure to select a default network interface. We do have the dual NIC’s, so I have disabled the inactive one.

We will run a test backup tonight when our users are offline to test this fix.

This problem is as of yet unresolved.

Thanks

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

* Check if the device is not paused.

* Select "Enable device for Backup Exec" by right-clicking on the device in the "Devices" tab > |Properties|Configuration|Enable device for Backup Exec.

* Restart the Backup Exec Services.

* create a new backup to disk folder and then perform a job targeted to this B2D folder.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

BartHirst
Level 3
Hello, to your points:

* I have checked the B2D device and it is not paused
* There is no select for "Enable device for Backup Exec" in "Devices" tab > |Properties|Configuration - please advise
* I have restarted all 6 backup exec services
* I have created a new B2D Folder

I will run a test backup tonight to the new folder.

p.s. for the "Devices" tab > |Properties|Configuration of the B2D - The defaults for device settings is "auto detect" and the concurrent operations 1... is this correct?

Thanks

SRK_NA_Support
Level 3
> -We have hotfix 25 & Service Pack 1 installed.

How about installing 5520..

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277181.htm

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please update to BE 10.0 5520 as mentioned earlier and then verify the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

BartHirst
Level 3
Hi guys.

I will install 5520 and try again.

Also - the backup I tried after creating a new B2D failed with "Error : e00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."

This seems like a basic problem, are my backup exec services going to sleep at night or something?

BartHirst
Level 3
Hi all. I have installed 5520 but because this is a production server and the sales people are busy I haven't been able to reboot. I will reboot at lunch and schedule a backup for the weekend and report back.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Bart,

How have your weekend backups gone after the upgrade to 5520? If the problem persists, do write back.

Regards.

BartHirst
Level 3
Hello,

The backup over the weekend on version 5520 has failed with the same errors as outlined above.

I'm starting to think that there might be a corrupt file out there that is killing the process... That is: Backup exec is working fine, however when it get's to a certain file on the disk, this file throws it for a loop and that's why i'm getting the "e00084ca - The data being read from the media is inconsistent." error.

Is there a log somewhere that tells me what file it was working on when it crapped out?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please defragment the drive being used for b2d operation, create a new job and verify the selections are valid, try running the job once again.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

BartHirst
Level 3
Ok. I'll defrag and schedule another backup.

BartHirst
Level 3
I defragged the drive (twice, and checked again and it said volume did not need furthur defrag.) Created a new B2D Device on the volume (B2D1) Backup failed with error:

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in B2D1.
V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The error occurs when Backup Exec is reading a tape prior to backup and encounters End of Data unexpectedly. Various things can cause such an error: losing power to the tape drive or server, a system or engine service crash, or a tape drive failure.

Are you still getting an error as "e00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding"?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.