cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't restore VM's vmdk to different storage

alexey107
Level 4

Hi.
We use BE 2015 with all updates. Virtual infrastructure is ESXi5.5.0 all servers are part of cluster. Also we have several SAN datastores to which all cluster nodes have access.
I need to restore VM to different datastore than original is. I create restore job as:
"to a differnet vCenter or ESX server"
Virtual machine datastore or datastore cluster- here we select different storage.
After restore completed we have only "Virtual machine Configuration File" and "Virtual Machine Working Location" located on storage i selected in the job. But all VM's .vmdk are on the same storage as the original one.
How could i make job to restore all vmdks to the storage that i need.

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Could you post the restore job log over here pls ? Thanks.

Did you select individual VMDKs for restore or did you select the VM itself from the left pane in the restore selections ?

alexey107
Level 4

I select VM, not individual VMDK.

VJware
Level 6

Does a redirected restore of a VM which does not contain special characters in its name (# in this case), work fine ?

alexey107
Level 4

I just have tried to restore redirected VM using no spec chars like # in its name. Same result.

VJware
Level 6

Were the options such as Network and Use original disk datastore selections used ?

If not, would recommend to log a formal support case and have an engineer review your setup.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you tried to redirect to an ESX host directly and select another datastore ?

alexey107
Level 4

Yes, i can redirect restore to stand alone ESX which has access only to local datastore. In this case we have restored VM config and vmdk on this local storage.

VJware
Level 6

Would recommend installing FP2 and rerun the restore. If it still does not work, pls log a formal support case. Thanks.

Link to FP2 (released on 19 Oct) - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000080697

alexey107
Level 4

Thank you.
Tried installed FP2 and restored again. Same issue.

VJware
Level 6

This is unexpected behavior. Have you logged a formal support case ? Thanks.