cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't restore differential backups of VMware VMs

mayonnaise
Level 3

Hi all

I use BE 2010R3. Backups are stored on external USB drive.  Also there is VMware evironment(vCenter 5.1/ESXi 4.1 and 5.1)

I arranged a dedicated policy wich includes full backup and differential backup jobs.

Full backup/restore works fine. Differential backups are success either, but issues are when I try to restore it. I make a restore job and select checkbox only for one of differential backups. But when I login into recovered VM I see only full backup state, but no changes since last full backup. I used to made a lot of tests, but nothing works. 

Please  guys, if someone faced with familiar problerm, contribute to my issue. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You should only select the checkbox for the differential

If you select both (and depending on the order of selection and the delete existing machine settings) it will either

1) Restore the differential and full combined and then immediately overwrite the VM with the full on its own (Result = restore looks like full backup only and job takes twice as long as it should)

2) Restore the full on it's own and then immediately overwrite it with the Differential and full combined (Result = restore looks like point in time of differential backup but the job takes twice as long as it should)

3) Restore the differential and full combined and then fails because it cannot overwrite the existing VM that is created by the first part of the restore (Result = restore looks like point in time of differential backup and job log contains an error)

4) Restore only the full and then fails because it cannot overwrite the existing VM that is created by the first part of the restore (Result = restore looks like the full backup and job log contains an error)

This is covered by a 2010 R3 incremental restore video (concept still applies to 2012 and to differentials)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/backup-exec-2010-vmware-restore

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

vCentre 5.1 and ESX 5.1 are not supported.

mayonnaise
Level 3

I have one esxi 4.1 host wich fit BE2010 r3 compatibility. But when I try to backup and restore from differential job into this host I get the same issue - instead differential changes I just get last full state of VM.

Also I tried to avoid USB devices and set local disks as device for backups.

Colin_Weaver

Please log a formal support case for Symantec to investigate

mayonnaise
Level 3

I have no active support now. That's why I'm asking here indeed

Colin_Weaver

Ok Well the reason I suggested it is I have not heard of these symptoms via any internal channels so you may have a unique issue that we need to research more fully.

mayonnaise
Level 3

Just clarify this to me please - when restoring VM from differential backup, I should select checkbox of differential backup only OR full+differential OR something else? 

Thanks,

Kind regards

mayonnaise
Level 3

I find out the potential cause of problem...

I performed the following test - made a Full backup -> created a new file inside OS -> made Differential backup -> made restore of last state -> see that file is ABSENT

So if I make some changes in EXISTING files after FUll backup - they are present in differential backup, but new files are not preserved.

Maybe I forgot something to setup appropriate jobs for vSphere environment?

Colin_Weaver

You should only select the checkbox for the differential

If you select both (and depending on the order of selection and the delete existing machine settings) it will either

1) Restore the differential and full combined and then immediately overwrite the VM with the full on its own (Result = restore looks like full backup only and job takes twice as long as it should)

2) Restore the full on it's own and then immediately overwrite it with the Differential and full combined (Result = restore looks like point in time of differential backup but the job takes twice as long as it should)

3) Restore the differential and full combined and then fails because it cannot overwrite the existing VM that is created by the first part of the restore (Result = restore looks like point in time of differential backup and job log contains an error)

4) Restore only the full and then fails because it cannot overwrite the existing VM that is created by the first part of the restore (Result = restore looks like the full backup and job log contains an error)

This is covered by a 2010 R3 incremental restore video (concept still applies to 2012 and to differentials)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/backup-exec-2010-vmware-restore