cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Backup Server 2008 Machines on Domain

alecs
Level 3
Hi, We have two machines, both Server 2008 SP 2. One runs media server (server A), the other a remote agent (server B). When we initiate a backup of server B, the agent application promptly stops running and will not run again until we repair the installation. Server A returns these errors: ' The Database server is not responding. The Shadow Copy resource is not responding. The system State is not responding. ' Server B shows that the agent has stopped running. In the publishing tab, it returns this error: unable to obtain settings for remote agent publishing. We can get the remote agent running again by repairing the installation, but when we try to initiate a backup job, it does stops running again. Neither machine has anti-virus software. Firewalls have been turned on and off to test if there is something is going on. It is not. We have successfully backed up other Server 2008 machines on the domain, but not this particular one. We want to buy your software! But unless we can get it working, it doesn't really make sense to. BTW your policy of not providing live support to trialware customers is strange. You should maybe think about trying to support potential customers with more than a KB and forums. Other companies, Acronis included, happily set you up with a call same day. Thanks, Alec
10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello

Looks like an issue with port #. Make sure some other application is not using port#10000 coz remote agent

communicates over port 10k. You can explicitly add port# 10k for NDMP in the services file.

alecs
Level 3
Thanks, I will try that and let you know how it goes.

alecs
Level 3
Following the steps outlined in this document:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255174.htm

...does not resolve the issue.

Any other thoughts?

No other app is using port 10000.

alecs
Level 3
Now it is showing the following errors:

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Try the steps mentioned in http://support.veritas.com/docs/247931 for Server B, it may fix your issue.

alecs
Level 3
This did not resolve the issue either.

alecs
Level 3
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/275054.htm

I've also tried everything listed here. None of these resolve the issue.

alecs
Level 3
Nice. Thanks for the 'support'.

To add insult to injury, I called up Symantec to get live support. They say I have to shell out $250 to talk to a support rep. For a product I'm not even sure I'll buy.

Nice job guys.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

No direct answer for your problem, but I have set the Support Flag for this thread

A Symantec employee should be checking in shortly

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

"the agent application promptly stops running"  So from this, is the beremote process crashing on that server?  You should see a note in the application log about the application crash or error.  Can you post the text from this event?