cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Backup after Tape replacement

NikiSa
Level 4

Since there are some hardware failure on Tape Library, after replace a same model Tape, still cannot backup successfully

Equipment as belpw:

Bakup Server (VM): Dell Server ESX5, Window Server 2003

Tape: Dell PV LTO4 (have a SAS cable for SAS HBA connect)

Backup Exec 12.5

*After Replacement, I restart the server, under VM Setting, I have added three SCSI dervice, include Tape IBM, MEDIA DELL, and Unknown DP. (actually i only install Media dell first but no any tape driver detect, thus i also install Tape IBM,, but i am not sure whehter is correct to add these "unknown" SCSI dervice). After adding. the "tape drivers" & "Medium Changers" aslo disappear under computer management.

*Everything look fine then i try to enter backup exec. Under the robotic library can detect the library & driver, but when I run the inventory on Backup Exec, the tape can successfuly move to the Driver but it seems the the diver cannot detect the tape, the inventory will fail and the tape will not back to the Slot, the error msg are:

1 - Incorrect function.
455 - Unable to unload the media.

*Also check the event log, get a removable storage service error "Did not match serial number "XXXXXXXXX" provided by "Dell (tm) PowerVault (tm) 124T Autoloader (Changer0)" among the list of drives."

* I have see many document about from Symantec / Dell / VM, and try to fix by update Dell / tape driver, but it's still not work, any idea can help me to fix it??

Many thanks!!!!!!!  

Regards,

Niki

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

you've got an unsupported configuration...running BE on a VM while accessing a tape drive.

I had to run this on 3 sites, much against my wishes. Ran well until there was an issue whic resulted in the VM being restarted along with the physical host. What VMware sees, the VM sees...so start with a restart of the host and then try reconfiguring the tape autoloader.

Thanks!

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello,

Thanks for your reply,

I have already restart the VM and reconfig ,,,serval times,,, it also fail...

May I ask whether the tape library include 2 parts, tape library & tape driver, in theretically speaking, it's possible work when I install the correct driver of "tape library & tape driver", is it??

or after replacment, i need to do any config on Backup Exec??? It seems that it can auto detect the new library and tape driver. May I ask the event error ""Did not match serial number "XXXXXXXXX" provided by "Dell (tm) PowerVault (tm) 124T Autoloader (Changer0)" among the list of drives."" is related the replacement?? and how can i updated the correct serial no?? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

VMware does not support tape drives connected to ESX 5.x and hence BE does not support it too.  Quoting from 

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1016407

Note: As per the vSphere 5.x Release Notes, VMware does not support Tape Drives connected directly to ESXi 5.x.

You CANNOT use your configuration.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...bes bet is to get a physical server in which case you're running a supported configuration!

Thanks!

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello all,

Thanks for your reply,

Since it works before,,,and after reading the document, it seems that VM do not provide the support service but it seems that can try to config the setting!!

After calling DELL for support and they will prepare a new tape for replacement, i hope that it really related a hardware problem and i will update all of u for the further result, thank you!!

Niki

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Even if the new drive works, it is still an unsupported configuration and you cannot get support from Symantec

NikiSa
Level 4

Hello All,

Thanks for ur reply, we contact dell for help, then they arrange one more tape replacement. They aslo think that is hardware problem.