cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Change Library First Slot Number

Victor_S_
Level 2

I am using Backup Exec 2012 with SP2 applied.  I added a tape library.  Backup Exec is numbering the slots from 0 but the library's console starts numbering the slots from 1.  I can go into the properties of the library and change the "First slot number" from 0 to 1, but when I click on "Apply", it briefly shows that it is updating the library but does not actually update it.  The "Apply" button stills stays on the screen.  When I get out of the properies page and back in, it still says 0.  I also tried it in the "Backup Exec Management Command Line Interface" but it also does not change it.  The command line I am using is "Set-BERoboticLibraryDevice -InputObject 'Robotic library 0001' -SlotsNumbersAreZeroBased $false".  It displays the library as the output with no errors but "SlotsNumbersAreZeroBased" still shows as "True".  When trying this, I was running both the console and the CLI as administrator, using a domain admin account, so I don't think it's a permissions issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I am thiniking BE is pulling and trying to match this info (start from slot 0 or 1) with the library`s firmware

"zero-based slot configuration " could be enbled on the tape library itself.

Try to check the vendor documentation to disable this or upgrade the firmware of the library.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,  What is the version of your tape library?  Do you have the Symantec drivers installed? 

lmosla
Level 6

see this link for using tapeinst.exe for installing the Symantec drivers if they arent installed:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73431

also check the BE 2012 HCL to make sure your tape library is supported.  see http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175582 

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

To reassign a slot base number for robotic libraries

On the Storage tab, double-click the robotic library for which you want to reassign a slot base number.

In the First slot number field, click the drop-down menu to change the base number.

Click Apply.

Restart the BE services

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73445

Victor_S_
Level 2

Thanks for the quick replies.  Symantec drivers are just for the tape drives, right?  There are no Symantec drivers for the library itself, right?

The library is a StorageTek L700.  I do have the Symantec drivers installed for the tape drives.  I tried the library using the default Windows Server 2008 R2 driver ("Unknown Medium Changer") and the StorageTek driver ("Sun/StorageTek Library").  Neither makes a difference.  Besides being able to change the first slot numbering from 0 to 1, everything else is working.

The library and the tape drives are both on the HCL (although not together).

I did follow the procedures in http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73445 but when I click "Apply", it briefly shows that it is updating the library but does not actually update it; the "Apply" button stills stays on the screen.  If I change the name of the library at the same time, the new name does apply but the "Apply" button still shows and the first slot number does not change.  It does say 1, but when I get out and back in, it shows 0 again.  Restarting the server does not help either.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

yes the drivers are only for tape drive we recommend you to use microsoft (unknow medium changer) drivers for robotic arm...

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

The library and the tape drives are both on the HCL (although not together).

What tape drives are you using?

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I am thiniking BE is pulling and trying to match this info (start from slot 0 or 1) with the library`s firmware

"zero-based slot configuration " could be enbled on the tape library itself.

Try to check the vendor documentation to disable this or upgrade the firmware of the library.

Victor_S_
Level 2

Kunal, thanks for leading me down the right path, although I'm not sure if it's coming from the library itself or from Backup Exec.  In Backup Exec, the Library Type is showing "CHANGER FS=0".  When I attached a different library, one that starts numbering from 1 on our Backup Exec 12.5 server, the slots did start from 1 and the Library Type showed "CHANGER FS=1".  I also could not change that library to start from 0.  So, this leads me to believe that the first slot number is hard coded either in the library or, more likely, somewhere in Backup Exec based on the library model.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I like to think this information is pulled from the tape library`s firmware

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

The default first slot is hard coded into Backup Exec for each library, but you should be able to change it if desired.  It is nice if the library and BE agree on what the first slot number is, but it is only a cosmetic issue.

You can see what BE has for the default either in the GUI or in the adamm.log (look for the "changer FS =" line).

Primary Inquiry         "xyz"
Serial Number           "xyz            CFJS45"
Device Flags            UMD, SCSI, SN(TYPE 0), SN(ELEMENT)
Device State            3, Online

Device IDs              1011, {C150426D-611C-4E99-9ABA-26CAD9739EBB}
Device Name             "Robotic library 0002"
Device Type             2131755008, "CHANGER FS=1"
Device Features         0x00006000: RMP,RRD
1st Slot Number         1

If you cannot change the First Slot, then maybe something is broken in BE 2012.  I know this used to work.

What tape drives are you using that aren't on the HCL for this library?