cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Connect to Media Server

Tope_Odeyale
Not applicable
Hello,
I am running Backup Exec 9.0 on a Windows 2000 Powered Server. The Server downloaded some windows critical updates and was restarted after that. Upon logging into the server I realized that some backup exec services were not running. I tried ruuning the veritas program and I got a "CONNECT TO MEDIA SERVER" screen, I put my user name and password in and got an error message stating "THE BACKUP EXEC SERVER SYSTEM SERVICE IS NOT RESPONDING. THE SERVICE IS EITHER NOT RUNNING OR INSTALLED." I tried starting all the services for Backup Exec from the control panel and they all timed out. Below is a list of the services not running:
1. Backup Exec Agent Browser
2. Backup Exec Alerts Bridge
3. Backup Exec Device and Media Service
4. Backup Exec Job Engine
5. Backup Exec Server
Only the Backup Exec Naming Service is running. I have tried unsucessfully to run these service.
I have also checked the Event Viewer and found some service control manager errors that read:
The Backup Exec Agent Browser service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

I have tried logging as myself(I'm an admin on the server)
I have gotten a domain admin to use their login to start the service and all attempts have failed. I really hope I can get some hlp because I have srched the knowledge bas on the website and none of the solution I came accros seem to help.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

* Perform a Repair database with the help of the following document:

How to run a Backup Exec database repair when the original Backup Exec database is found to be inconsistent

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

* try starting the services under the local system account.

* It would however be suggested that the version 9.1 be installed due to the enhancements and the improvements included from the previous builds. Backup Exec Version 9.1 can be downloaded from the following link:

<>
Technote:
<>

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Tope_Odeyale_2
Level 2
The problem I was experiencing was due to an APC Smart-UPS software. The issue is caused by the Sun Java Runtime Environment certificate expiring. This caused the 2 APC services (APC PBE Agent, APC PBE Server) to fail on server reboot. This caused all other services on the server to fail to start. To solve the problem the APC PowerChute Business Edition software needs to be uninstalled and the upgraded version of the software installed. You can read more and find the upgraded sofware by clicking on this link
http://rmservices.rmplc.co.uk/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC472848&Referrer=Portal&nav=0

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Tope,

Thank you for the update.
Since the problem is resolved, the post will be marked as answered.

Regards