cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Copy selection list using built-in copy function OR the BEUtility from a 12 server to 12.5

VDOR
Level 3

I have tried copying a selection list from one server to another multiple times using both the beutility and the copy function (to push to another server on the same network) using various different domain accounts. I know the credentials are working correctly, because if I use incorrect passwords I get a failed credentials error instead of nothing.

1) When using the built in copy feature of 12 to push to 12.5: I initiate the copy, navigate to the correct server name (I've also tried just typing it in), and start the process. It runs for somewhere between 11:00-11:04 minutes, and hten always fails with the exact same message:   Completed status: Canceled, timed out
The job was automatically canceled because it exceeded the job's maximum configured run time.

When I view the job as it occurs, it never gets beyond the "initializing" phase, and the byte count never goes above 0 (zero) . I've enabled debugging logging using the registry (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288297.htm), but the log files only tell me what I've already seen, it timed out : [4484] 02/09/09 14:00:17 DeviceManager: timeout event fired . I've tried restarting the services multiple times. 

2). I've also tried to use the built in BEUtility to simply copy the files to a .CFG file.I open the utility and click "Copy Media Server config". I entered in the correct username and password, along with an output directory. The username is in the form of "domain\username". After i click ok, it runs for about 30-45 seconds, goes to 100% and says complete. However, no CFG file is ever generated. I've tried outputting to different directories and using multiple accounts (all domain admin), to no avail. I should also note that everytime I use this utility to try and export the settings, it kills all my backup exec services which then have to restart.. 

I've also made sure that the copy license is installed and activated on both 12 and 12.5. Is there any other option for copying the selection list from one server to another? I'm really frustrated as I can't find any more proposed solutions. I thought about trying to restore a bedb.bak file from one server to another, but I have other settings (such as library and tape settings) that are completely new, so I don't want to import the entire configuration on top of it..

Thanks! 

Message Edited by VDOR on 02-09-2009 11:13 AM
1 REPLY 1

WShar
Level 2
I'm in the exact same boat. I have tried everything you have and I get the same results. No config file is created event though the utility says it completed.