cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Start Backup Exec 2010 'Server' Service

kidtrebor
Level 3

Hi,

Having difficulty to start the Server service on one of our servers.  When I run ServicesMgr.exe I see the error:

Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on [host].  Error code returned:
The process terminated unexpectedly.

In the Windows event viewer I can see:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          1/22/2014 12:10:24 PM
Event ID:      7034
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      [host]
Description:

The Backup Exec Server service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 49 time(s).

I restarted the server: no change.I ran sgmon.exe and collected the attached log, but I can't discern from it what could be the cause; even when compared to another sgmon log from a working server it wasn't clear what the problem was.  I also collected BEDBG logs and can provide if necessary.

I tried to manually run beserver.exe and saw the following error:

BEServer failed to connect to service control manager: 1063

I found the following KB which describes the above error message here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH176901

I immediately tried solutions 2 and 3 to no avail.  Accordingly my attention turned to .NET so I ran the .NET Framework Setup Verification Utility from Microsoft but it passed, indicating no problem.

I don't want to start removing .net on a live server without seeking a second opinion first.  Could anyone offer further assistance?

Regards,

Robert

12 REPLIES 12

lmosla
Level 6

Check to make sure the SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) service is started, running with Automatic start up type and Log on as Local System.

kidtrebor
Level 3

Hi Imosla,

Checked and confirmed this is the case.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi  If you are running an antivirus scan on this server then exclude exclude beremote.exe from scanning.

verify that the version of the remote agent is the same as the media server

also there are several hotfixes for Backup Exec services so make sure Backup Exec is fully patched with Live Updates and that the remote agent is repushed out to the remote servers.

kidtrebor
Level 3

If I run LiveUpdate, will it install all hotfixes/patches immediately or give me a chance to review first?

I will have to prepare such information as part of our internal change control procedure.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

LU will install all the available hotfixes.  There is no chance a review.

kidtrebor
Level 3

Hi pkh,

Actually I looked a little deeper into it and it seems you can change Live Update to interactive mode to allow you to identify what will be installed first.

In any case there's still a problem with this, since I can't launch Backup Exec in the first place, and so can't launch Live Update.

Possible to do this offline?

Regards,

Robert

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Robert,

As it is nowhere mentioned I assume that the version is BE 2010 R3.

So for R3 the latest SP is SP4 which is released few days back and still not on Live Updates. You can download and install SP4 from following link:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH208828 :Backup Exec 2010 R3 revision 5204 Service Pack 4

EDIT: If you are not on version R3 then upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys of BE 2010 R1 will work for BE 2010 R3 too so there is no need to buy new license keys.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

Regards,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can launch LU from the Control Panel

pkh
   VIP    Certified

With regards to the edit portion of the comment, as the saying goes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Unfortunately, for me, flattery will get you nowhere.

See my comment below for a comparision.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-tape-help#comment-9646641

kidtrebor
Level 3

It seems the Control Panel icon is only fo launching the Live Update config menu?  Can't seem to launch LU itself...

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Robert,

You can launch LiveUpdate by running the excutable "LUlauncher.exe" from the default location "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec".

Please note that when launching LiveUpdates with this method it tries to find and update the hot fixes / service packs / patches for all other Symantec products also if they are installed on the server.

Regards,

-Sush...

kidtrebor
Level 3

Hi Sush,

I can't seem to find this exe, perhaps it's not a feature of 2010 R1?