Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup Exchange 2007 VM with GRT

Mahoney_tech
Level 3

BE Media server - Windows 2003 SP2 x32 - BE 2010 R2

Exchange 2007 Server - Windows 2003 R2 SP2 x64

I can preform the backup but it completes with exceptions:

Backup- VMVCB::\\ESXLICENSE\VCGuestVm\(DC)JEVS HQ Datacenter(DC)\vm\JEVS Production\Exchange.jevs.org
V-79-57344-38727 - Backup Exec failed to snap virtual machine '\(DC)JEVS HQ Datacenter(DC)\vm\JEVS P...

Also it is only backing up about 40 of my 140Gb of data.

These are the selection details

Here is the rest of the job config

AOFO options

Exchange Options

Vmware Options

Also, the Microsoft Exchange Writer is failing on the Exchange server, but there are no errors in the event logs

I am totally unable to backup Exchange.....Any assistance would be great!

I have run live update, rebooted media and exchange servers - Uninstalled remote agents and re-pushed.  All of these steps in any number of oders as well.

13 REPLIES 13

teiva-boy
Level 6

Turn off AOFO, that is NOT needed.

You will need to check the VSS status on the exch host, and also make sure that the Vmware Tools VSS tools is NOT installed.

Mahoney_tech
Level 3

Vmware tools VSS writer is not listed in output of :

vssadmin list writers

Why is AOFO not needed?

Mahoney_tech
Level 3

Verified that vmware tools vss writer was uninstalled.

Re-installed agent without AOFO option.

Changed job and removed AOFO options

same problem.

Found that There is an Eqlvss listed in the event logs while backup is running.

Also noticed that Microsoft VSS service was started during backup but not the backup exec vss service.

I also install the MS patch kb940349 for VSS that was recomended by tech support which did nothing.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...and I take it you have the Exchange agent installed?

Mahoney_tech
Level 3

List of installed agents

Mahoney_tech
Level 3

The microsoft exchange writer has been failing when running this job. 

I restarted the MS Exchange Information store service-

This stabilized the writer

I then disabled the MS VSS writer in the services console and re ran the job

The job still completed with the same exception

Backup- VMVCB::\\ESXLICENSE\VCGuestVm\(DC)JEVS HQ Datacenter(DC)\vm\JEVS Production\Exchange.jevs.org
V-79-57344-38727 - Backup Exec failed to snap virtual machine '\(DC)JEVS HQ Datacenter(DC)\vm\JEVS P...

BUT the Exchange writer is still in a stable state after the job.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you installed the exchange management tools on the Backup Exec server ?

Mahoney_tech
Level 3

The Ex Mgt tools are installed.  I upgraded to BE2010 from BE12.5

My exchange backups were always successful with 12.5 and now they are not regardless of using the Vmware agent or a client exchange backup with the datastores selected.

I have not had a successful backup of Excahnge in two weeks.

Symantec Support is not getting the job done here...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you also install MAPI/CDO ?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e17e7f31-079a-43a9-bff2-0a110307611e&dis...

D

Does the backup exec service account has a mailbox (not hidden from the GAL)?

Mahoney_tech
Level 3

I don't know about the MAPI/CDO - How can I verify if it was installed?

The backup account does not have a mailbox - Even if it did why would it cause the VSS writers to snapshot improperly?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check add/remove programs is MAPI/CDO is installed, if it is not listed, install it.

Edit: A, I see now, that MAPI/CDO needs to be installed on the Exchange server, not be Backup Exec server.

Here are all the requirements of Exchange GRT:

1) In backup job properties >>Microsoft exchange>> GRT opton should be checked
2) The account with which you are backing up exchange should have a active mailbox.( i.e atlest you have opened it once using OWA or you have sent an email to that account)
3) The mailbox should not be hidden from Global address list (http://support.veritas.com/docs/243328 )
4)the account name should be unique i.e when you go to active directory users and computers and click on find, and type just first 4 letters of the username and click find - Only one name should be displayed
if there are multiple names- the account is not valid for GRT backups (http://support.veritas.com/docs/256537 )
5)If you have exchange 2003
open the system manager >>right click on your enterprise name >>delegate control
aand ensure that your user is listed with Exchange Full Administrator  rights
6)If you have exchange 2007. In the Exchange Management Console, select Organization Configuration
Right click on Organization Configuration and select Add Exchange Administrator,On the Add Exchange Administrator page, click Browse and select the user Select the Exchange Server Administrator Role and click Add
7) Additionally only for exchange 2007 backups
Confirm that the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects are installed on the Exchange 2007 Server.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...
The Microsoft Exchange 2007 Management Tools are installed on the Backup Exec server.
32 bit - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...
64 bit - To download the 64-bit version of the management tools, use the same media or download that you used to install Exchange 2007

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Any news Mahoney ?

Mahoney_tech
Level 3

I have previewed all of the articles and all of my configurations match the recomended practices.

Account is a domain and exchange server admin.

Account has a unique mailbox

Mapi cdo objects installed

Original Issue still persists:

Symantec Support collected some log files and have escalated the issue.