cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEXEC 2010 Backups not completing - USB DAT 160

Norman_The_Viki
Level 2

Hello,

I've got a bit of a strange problem that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on:

I've got a brand new HP Proliant server with an HP DAT 160 (USB) drive running Server 2008 SBS (SP2) and Backup Exec SBS 2010 R2.  The DAT drive is connected to an internal USB port on the motherboard and is running up-to-date HP drivers (1.7.0.2 19th May 2009) and the server itself has up-to-date USB device drivers installed.  Diagnostics running HP TapeTools report all is ok with the drive.  Backup Exec has been live-updated with all the latest patches.  All DAT tapes are HP branded 160's and are only about 3 weeks old.

Running a very basic backup job of users files off the local disk (approx 100GB) without verify will sometimes take 20 hours and complete ok but on other days will sometimes take 164 hours before I have to kill the job off!!!  The job is set to cancel itself after 22 hours if it's not complete...but it never does....it just carries on running.  Watching one of the 160-odd hour jobs shows that no data is being transferred to the drive (and the drive itself isn't making any noises or flashing any lights).  There are no alerts asking for another tape to be inserted and no errors.

Backup Exec reports a job throughput of around 550MB/Min for both the 20 hour jobs and the 160 hour jobs.  It seems that it's getting to the end of the backup job and then just hanging.

There are no scheduled tasks or automatic updates set to run on the server which could be slowing it down.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is there an alert asking you to remove the tape or is there any error message in the Windows Eventlog?

Norman_The_Viki
Level 2

There are about 1,000 "Please remove the tape" messages in the Windows event log.  I have now set the job not to eject the tape at the end to see if this makes a difference.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

That should do it, or you can configure an Auto-response

When "eject on end" is specified, and Backup Exec posts the alert to remove the tape, the job clock leeps running until the tape is physically removed, or the alert is responded to