cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot catalog tape in new server

Simon_Gray_3
Level 3
I am trying to catalog an AIT tape backup from our old server on our newly rebuilt server. We are using Veritas 9.1 SP4.
The inventory of the tape works fine but when I catalog it, it starts to run and accesses the drive for the first few minutes (and creates several files in the catalogs directory) but then nothing happens. I have left it running for hours but the byte count never changes from zero. The job engine process (bserver?) runs at 95% cpu.

I need to catalog this tape to get a restore done so any help much appreciated.

Simon
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you sure that the tape drives are compatible?

Did you use hardware compression for the job? I had problems with HW compression moving from DLT4000 to DLT7000 back in the day.

Simon_Gray_3
Level 3
The drives are identical as far as I can tell. Looking at the properties of the drive in the Veritas device screen, the compression settings look the same (hardware compression is ticked and the block size is set to 64k).

The backups are done with compression set to 'Hardware if available, otherwise software" but there is nowhere to specify this on the Catalog job.

This is now urgent unfortunately

Simon

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please do not select an option "Use storage media based catalogs" while performing catalog.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Simon_Gray_3
Level 3
Ok, I will try this, but since the catalogs don't exist on the server - where is it going to get the catalog information if it doesn't get it from the tape?

As an aside, I have managed to access the old server and notice that this is using a Sony driver rather than a Veritas driver. If the drivers were different on the two servers, would this stop a catalog working?

Simon

Simon_Gray_3
Level 3
I tried the catalog again, having installed the same tape drivers on the new server - but it does the same. There was no option to 'untick' and the same symptoms appear. The process bengine.exe is taking 97% cpu and the bytes count stays at zero.

Please help if you can

Simon

Simon_Gray_3
Level 3
I couldn't find this option at first, but it's under Tools>Options (I now know) and this looks like it's fixed it - many thanks