cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect Backup Exec 2010 R3 to OpenStorage device

westyghs
Level 3

I am trying to connect Backup Exec 2010 R3 to our new Quantum DXi 4520 via OST. However whenever I put in the Quantum device details I receive the messsage:

"Unable to connect to OpenStorage Device. Ensure that the network is properly configured between the device and the media server."

The 2 devices are both on the same subnet, and the Windows Firewall is disabled on the backup server. I can ping the quantum device from the media server with no problems. I have also been through the DXi and Backup Exec user guides several times now to ensure I have not missed anything out or incorrectly set anything.

Do I need to enable certain ports on the subnet switch? It only really filters broadcast packets, so that doesn't seem like the likely cause?

Any ides would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

westyghs
Level 3

Re-installed the OST agent and now all is working OK.

Looks like the OST agent didn't install properly. Entered the same credentials and now all is working OK. As I thought the SERVERNAME_IPADDRESS part I spoke of from the user guide should have actually been STORAGESERVER_IPADDRESS.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

If you search this error on google one of the link say:

"Look at the DataDomain configuration, disable and re-enable boost." and it should fix this".

westyghs
Level 3

Cheers, but those options do not exist on a DXi 4520.

On the 4520 I have:

1) set up a storage server (with hostname of media server)

2) created LSU for that storage server

3) configured a "dxiuser" account to log on (which Ithen added to BE)

Network settings all appear fine (I only have only IP set and no segmentation or anything like that).

Backup Exec seems to be able to connect to it as a NAS, just not an OST. The OST plugin is installed fine as well.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Have you added the required de-dup license in Backup Exec?

westyghs
Level 3

Hi yes,

I have de-dup license installed on the central admin server (i don't think it even lists openstorage device if you do not have a de-dup license installed). I have also installed the Quantum OST plugin which makes Quantum appear in the "server type" dropdown.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Check BE 2010R3 HCL for required one:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137050

it shows differnet one needed, as per OS installed on device.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you rebooted the device after applying the OST plugin ? Also, are you adding the device name followed by the IP address of the device in the 'Server' field ?

westyghs
Level 3

I have checked the HCL and my hardware is fully supported with th v2.5 plugin, and I have installed the correct one for x64 Windows servers.

I have restarted both the device and the media server.

In terms of setup the device is called FRINK (Simpsons character naming convention, don't ask...)

And the local IP is 10.4.1.224, so I have been entering FRINK_10.4.1.224. That's correct isn't it?

I only have one network connection plugged in at the moment, so I don't see how any switch setup could affect it. From the bits I've read OST seems to work on port 80 (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

teiva-boy
Level 6

You typically enter in the FQDN, or the IP.  FQDN is preferred if your DNS is fully functioning (fwd and reverse lookups)

I'm not sure where you get the frink_(IP) entry.

westyghs
Level 3

The instructions tell me to use "SERVERNAME_IPADDRESS" hence why I put what I did. I have also tried FQDN, IP address, localname and they all produce the same message.

Is there an error log file for this process anywhere where I can identify the actually cause as right now I am completely out of ideas.

GNJK
Level 2

It works best if you add the IP of the target in the hosts file with a name and refer that name in the "Server Name" field.

Then restart the service.

"SERVERNAME_IPADDRESS" is incorrect.

teiva-boy
Level 6

HOST file editing is workable but bad practice.

DNS and FQDN is the proper way to do this.  But a straight up IP wouldd work as well...

teiva-boy
Level 6

Could you do me a favor, and attach the user guides to a post in this forum, from Quantum for the BE OST configuration and the Installation and Configuration Guide?

This way I can see the setup process more clearly and how it compares to other OST devices that I've setup in the past.  Or send me a private message with your quantum Serial # so I can download it myself.  You can probably try and change your Serial# to a higher or lower sequential number if you're concerned I can do something with YOUR number.  (though I don' t think anyone could..)

http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/DXi4500/Index.aspx

westyghs
Level 3

Hi,

Appologies for delayed response, Christmas kind of took priority for a bit. Please find the Quantum BE OST config guide attached. I have been going over it again today, still not working. Of course it does make it a lot harder when the guide seems to make absolutely no differentiation between "storage server name" and "DXi hostname" or "backup server hostname" and refers to everything as "server name". Thanks Quantum for the clarity of your writing.

Any more help would be much appreciated.

westyghs
Level 3

Re-installed the OST agent and now all is working OK.

Looks like the OST agent didn't install properly. Entered the same credentials and now all is working OK. As I thought the SERVERNAME_IPADDRESS part I spoke of from the user guide should have actually been STORAGESERVER_IPADDRESS.