cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete Encyption Key Backup Exec 2010

BND
Level 3

I was doing some testing with encrypting my backups, as this is the first time I’ve worked with encryption in backup exec. I created a test encryption key and performed a couple of backup and restore tests. I wanted to make sure the encryption worked so I was going to delete the encryption key and use the pass phrase to restore my files. When I try to delete my key from the Encryption Key Management, I get an error saying “An error has occurred while replacing “123” (my encryption key name). In the description it says “The encryption key “123” is associated with the following lists. Deleting this encryption key will cause the jobs that use these selection lists to fail”. It then gives me a list of three restore jobs that I had performed earlier when I was testing. I have deselected those jobs earlier as they were just test restore jobs. Is there any way to delete this key and start over from scratch with a brand new key so I don’t have multiple keys?

4 REPLIES 4

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Edit the backup/restore jobs created so far using this encryption key. Disable encryption on those jobs. you may want to delete the restore jobs. Once we have confirmed, no job is using the key, you should be able to delete it.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

BND
Level 3

I found one of the three restore jobs in the “Job Setup” list and I deleted it. It no longer shows up in the error list of jobs when I try to delete the encryption key. I thought I had done the same for the other two jobs. I can’t find the other two restore jobs that the encryption key is supposedly looking for. I’m pretty sure I deleted the entire test backup and restore jobs that I created. All the jobs remaining are my daily backups for my servers. I don’t get where it thinks it is using the encryption key for two restore jobs if there are none. I’ve tried searching for the exact name and everything, yet it still returns nothing.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

See if there is job filter applied to the job setup. If encryption key window is showing jobs, it must be there in the database. If you are not able to find it, you may want to contact Tech Support if they have a way to get rid of the jobs from database. Although, having this encryption key there is not an issue, you can create other keys and use them with new jobs.

Thanks

BND
Level 3

I actually found where the restore job was stored. Even though I had deleted all of the backup and restore jobs I had created in the “Job Setup” page, it still stored my restore jobs in the tape media. I opened up a “Restore Job” and scrolled down to the server I was working on and noticed that it still saw the two restore jobs I had created earlier. So I viewed the properties of those two jobs and wrote down the tape number or media number. I then changed the view from “View by Resource”, to “View by Media”. I strolled down to the two specific tapes that had my test restore jobs saved on them, and deleted them. After I did that I was able to delete my encryption key. It was quite easy but I didn’t even think to view the media. Thank you for your quick responses in helping me trouble shoot this issue.