cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot detect tape drives

Carlos_Oliveira
Level 3
Greetings,

I am having a problem with backup exec, since the scsi controller was exchanged. The problem has nothing to do with the controller, because i already tried with the old controller where it was working fine and now, it still does not work. Trying to solve a problem, i deleted the drive in Veritas. Now when i try to add the drive, it cannot find one. I am asked to install the Veritas drivers, wich i do, and i already tried the various options given on the help, without any result. (that is to say, disabling the library of the removable devices in Windows, or disabling the device in the hardware manager).Between the operations, there was always a reboot of the server. The only thing left now is to reinstall the software (i can fell a Duh!!!! in here but....).
Does anyone has any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Carlos,

Try the following:

1. Disable all BE services
2. Run tapeinst.exe and have it _remove_ all Veritas drivers
3. Reboot your server
4. Install OEM drivers for your tape drive
5. Test the drive with ntbackup

If you can't get this far, it's not a Veritas problem. Once you have shown you can get this far:

6. Start BE services, see if you can see hte tape drive. DON'T install Veritas drivers for the drive.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you have changed the scsi card, verify that you have connected the device to scsi target id between 2 and 5.

Do not connect it to scsi target id 0, 1.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Carlos_Oliveira
Level 3
Greetings,

Thank you for the replys. I haven't been hable to test it it since i haven't been to the client again. As soon as it is tested i will post a feedback

Carlos_Oliveira
Level 3
Did not work after tests were made as per sugestions

Carlos_Oliveira
Level 3
Greetings.
Ok, solved the problem of not being able to backup usin NT backup, after installing the latest drives and firmware update of the raid card. However, i still can not see the drive in Veritas. The other thing strange, is that the tape is as disconected when i use HP Tape Tools. But i can make Nt Backup backups with no problems whatsoever.
Any more sugestions?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
You may have to stop the Veritas Device and Media service before using the HP tools.

HP tape and library tools- are HP's diagnostic software. If they have an issue with the drive, contact HP, it's their issue.

If you resolve the above issue, run the Veritas "Device and Media" wizard, to set the device up in BE, once you know it works in ntbackup.

Deepali, why do you continue to post here without reading anyone's questions?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-is the device connected to RAID controller ?

-check if you are getting any event ids related to device (7,9,11,15 ? )

-Perform the steps as per the technote given below :

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192144.htm

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Steve_Bell_2
Level 4
Hi Carlos
Not sure if you have already sorted this or not, but I have had similar issues which may or may not be relevant.

My new Superloader and Tape Drive use Multiple LUNs whereas my old Surestore used different IDs. It meant that if both devices were active the wrong responses came back.

To make the new one work I had to go into the SCSI bios and enable Multiple LUNs (not easy as it wasn't supported on my card!), so your problem may be similar as removing the old card may have reverted back to defaults when you removed it.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Carlos,

Can you please update on the issue ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.