cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup error

support_advref
Level 3

I am running an Exchange 2010 on Server 2008 R2 and trying to backup my Exchange databases with GRT with Backup Exec 2012 with all of the updates installed. Some of the backups will go through just fine. Then others will give me this error: 

Final error: 0xe0000393 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.

Then when I look in the logs I find this: Backup- \\ADVORLEXCH01.INTERNAL.ADVREF.COM\Microsoft Information Store\General Mailboxes

V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation.  The following error was returned when opening th...

Backup- \\ADVORLEXCH01.INTERNAL.ADVREF.COM\Microsoft Information Store\Administrative Mailboxes
V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation. The following error was returned when opening the...

This was supported to be fixed in Backup Exec 2010 so why am I getting this from time to time in 2012?

And this is just one of the issues I am having with the Exchange backup.

3 REPLIES 3

santoshpawar
Level 4

This issue possibly due to concurrent backups running.

Following registry key can be added to increase the timeout period, if running the backup on tape then create the registry key on the Exchange server(s). If backing up to Backup to Disk folder then create the registry on Media server.

Key :   HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile
Value: VFF Extended Timeout
Type:  DWORD
Max value is 600 seconds

Valid values 240, 480, 600. 600 is the max setting.

Start out at 240 seconds at first. If error still occurs then 480, before going to 600.

Restart all the Backup Exec Services for the changes to take effect.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

@santosh: If you copy from an official TN please post the link to it...otherwise others would see it as plagiarism as you're passing someone else's work off as your own...

This is the TN you SHOULD have invluded:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH194037

Thanks!

santoshpawar
Level 4

Sure...CraigV...Thanks..I will do that from next time.....Thanks once again.

Regards,

Santosh