cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install BackupExec Remote Agent on Windows 2008 R2

Longman
Level 2
When trying to install the remote agent from the media server to a Windows 2008 R2 x64 server it fails with error 1603. The media server is running version 12.5 with all patches applied including the one released for 2008 R2 support. Suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Longman,

Are you pushing this from your BEWS server, or from the installation directory?
Have you looked at the following:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/331998.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/324303.htm - BEWS 12.5 support matrix

Laters!

pehap
Level 3
Same problem here, i applied all hotfixes also. When i tried to install the agent locally on the win 2008 R2 server , i got incompatibility warning. Any ideas?

Longman
Level 2

The 331998 patch has been applied to the media server prior to trying to install the remote agen to a windows 2008 r2 server. I made it work by running the x64 install of the remote agent manually at the 2008 r2 server. I then applied the 16 msp updates and ran a backup successfully. I will do a complete restore to make sure the backup really worked. Symantec has more work to do on this.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
When you manually installed the ax64 agent - did you run Setup.exe or setupaax64.cmd?

just intrigued as you said you had to apply the MSP files as well as do the manual install - and there was an issue at one point where the RAWS setup.exe did not apply the MSP files for you but the .CMD (silent) install did.

DHR_VAN_LEEUWEN
Level 3
I got it to install manually by adjusting the application compatibility, then applied 25 patches in all. For Windows Server 2008 core, this won't work. Is core supported?

Stephen_Antho1
Level 2
I have tried all these solutions and it doesn't work for me.  Media server still tells me I have to buy a license.  I tried copying the x64 dir to the local server and install.  It acts like it starts but nothing happens.

pehap
Level 3
when i run setup.exe i got a compatibility warning - this program has known compatibility issues.... should i runt it anyway and the all of the pathces from the updates directory?

JohnnyNeckU
Not applicable

In my case, My Backup Exec Server is Windows Server 2008 x86 and I'm trying to deploy BE 12.5 on my new Windows 2008 R2 x64 server.

So I wonder what are the step to proceed in my situation?

CraigV
Hi Longman,

Is your media running SP2 for BEWS? That adds in support for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.

CraigV
Then I would say try running it in compatibility mode, and thoroughly test your restores.
THe other alternative in this case might be to log a call with Symantec, and if they help you, post the solution here for us.
Then close the query with that solution.

Alexxx
Level 3
you dont have to install the agent patch on the BES server do you or have to restart it, the patch doesnt seem to work for any windows 2008 r2 servers at all

Matthew_Galvin
Level 2
Certified
Same issue, can't push an install out to an R2 server. Anyone from Symantec wish to confirm this as an issue?

Matt.

cuffie
Level 2
Had the same issue, upgraded the meadia server to 12.5 SP3, copied the Agent install dir to the r2 core machines, ran setupaax64.cmd and installed fine. Still not able to push the install though.

Phil