cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install remote agents

Vitaly_Markovsk
Level 3
Hello guys and gals,

Whenever I try to install remote agents for XP workstations, I constantly get RPC server is unavailable message.

This is with XP firewall on or off, with file/print sharing enabled. Any attempt for Windows 2000 machines works fine, as well as all servers.

Any idea what the issue is? Or how I can get around it?
I'd like to get Desktop and Laptop Option installed to backup some workstations, but ALWAYS get an RPC issue.

I even tried to install manually from the DLO share on the server, but then the workstation asks me for a bunch of settings that I don't know the answer to, after which it says it cannot connect. The Veritas console says the device is not licensed or an old version.

Console version is 9.1, rev. 4691.

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

Fred_Bennett
Level 3
This may sound too simple, but is the RPC service enabled and running on those workstations? And is this a push installation or are you running the install from the workstation?

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote below to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255826

Please update us on the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Vitaly_Markovsk
Level 3
Hi Sharvari,

This is what I tried, however when I go into the console and try to back anything up on the machine, such as SQL server (MSDE) or the C$ drive, I get a message saying that the agent is not installed, or it is too old.

RPC is active on the XP machine, altho it is interesting that RPC Locator is NOT active on the Win2K machines, yet the remote install works.

Should I need to update my console?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please try increasing the RPC port range and verify the results. Refer the following technote for the same.
Title:
The error "Access Denied" is reported when trying to back up servers with a limited Remote Procedure Call port range.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/263181

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.