cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot logon to mapi randomly

GutschalkD
Level 3

Hey folks,

We have a SBS 2008 server running with Exchange 2007. It is backed up with Backup Exec 12.5 to a tape. For most of the time it was running great. However, from time to time we're getting an error which stopps the backup. The error is E00002FE and says that the backup can not log on to MAPI with the credentials. The credentials haven't changed. I'm using a domain, exchange, schema administrator account for this backup and he has his own post box.

Following some hints from the www I've disabled IPv6 and added some lines to the hosts file which lead directly to the server itself. I've also checked that the first storage group of the exchange is on first position of the ressource order. I've also checked with MFCMAPI and there are now errors on accessing the exchange database and mailboxes.

Regarding this the only possible breaking point would be 8. But can this be resolved, worked around or anything? This backup is now running for years..

Last week backup was fine but the last 3 daily backups ended with this error. We had the issue before, one of my colleague somehow took care of it and then didn't write down how. Maybe he even ignored it till it was gone, I can't tell. He's not available for research on this so I come to you asking for help :)

I appreciate every answer, if you need more information do not hesitate to ask.

13 REPLIES 13

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Make sure your Service account have appropriate rights

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740

Find the all version of  MAPISVC.INF on the server and make sure they are of same size .

Just find all the instance of MAPISVC.INF file.on the media server and make sure the size of the file is same . If it is not then replace it by the bigger one .

refer the following doc http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320444

Run Fixmapi as well .

GutschalkD
Level 3

The account I use to backup has as high privileges as it can get. I wanted to check this with the BE Help tool yesterday but the help tool wasn't exactly helping since it gave me faulty results. The MAPI/CDO package is already installed (did it again anyways). The account has a mailbox, mail has been sent and received by it and it is displayed in the global address list. The username and mailbox name are unique to this organisation.

To sum it up, everything in your first link should be good. I guess backup wouldn't have ran this far if it wasn't. I did check it though.

I will run the BE job tonight without GRT activated as suggested in the last part of the link.

I only found one mapisvc.inf in a profile backup folder on the administrators desktop. I deleted that. Reading this thread from the symantec forum, I shouldn't find the mapisvc.inf on a 2007 Exchange server. I couldn't find a fixmapi.exe on my system, is that bad?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Fixmapi.exe is automatically installed under C:\Windows\System32 when IE is installed. Have you checked under this location ?

GutschalkD
Level 3

That's new. I used Windows Search to find it, no results. Looked in the folder, found it.

I ran it as an Administrator, it didnt produce any visible results but I've read that this could be normal.

I'll try and restart the server later before I backup next. Should I keep GRT activated for the next try or disable it?

VJware
Level 6

Keep GRT enabled. Do ensure any instance of mapi32.dll is not set to read-only before running fixmapi.

Lastly, if running any AV, do set to exclude from scanning the BE processes.

GutschalkD
Level 3

I've set exceptions for the directory of the anti virus. The anti virus sadly cannot set exceptions for processes.

Backup failed with the same error the last days.

Any more suggestions on working around this?

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls post/attach the complete job log here ? Thanks.

GutschalkD
Level 3

I'm not sure if the logs will help you, BE is configured in german.

Do you mean the job protocool from BE or are there logfiles in the BE directory?

VJware
Level 6

The job log itself from BE.

GutschalkD
Level 3

I've attached a log to this post. Thank you for your help.

VJware
Level 6

Would recommend the following:-

1) Create a "OnHostTemp" registry key on the Exchange server

Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange

Right click and add a new String Value, "OnHostTemp"

Right click and set the value of OnHostTemp to "C:\Temp"

C:\Temp being just an example. The location should be local, NTFS and have sufficient free space to stage the entire Information Store and the BE account should have full control on this location. Restart the Remote Agent services for the changes to take effect.

2) If it still fails, would recommend to enable debugging on both servers using this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124453

PM me the logs else alternatively, pls log a support case.

GutschalkD
Level 3

It looks like the first and second storage group were backuped fine tonight. Backing up the sql instances there was a communication error, I guess that's because the Remote Agent crashed. A later running job failed saying that the Remote Agent crashed, I had to start it myself. 

Let's see if this happens tonight, there was no mapi error on saving the first and second storage group so I think that's somehow a good thing,

VJware
Level 6

Would also recommend to split the backup jobs such that resources such as Exchange are backed up separately (without AOFO) and resources such as C:\, flat-file data are backed up (with AOFO).